10mm front Sachs motor mount bolt

Started by Randy Kirkbride, August 05, 2003, 10:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Kirkbride

I'm currently trying to mount a Sachs motor with a 10mm front bolt hole in a frame with a 8mm hole.  Anyone have any experience at this?  Is it OK to drill the frame out to 10mm?  Or, should I try to sleeve the hole in the motor?  HELP!!
Oooops!!  This should be in the Penton Forum

Edited by - Randy Kirkbride on 08/05/2003  10:12:22 PM

Paul Danik

Randy,
   When Sachs went from the "A" engine to the "B" engine they increased the size of the front mounting hole in the engine cases to 10mm from the "A" engine's 8mm. This so far is the only true way of figuring if an engine is the "A" or "B" model without opening it up. Ted Penton explained in the August 1972 issue of Keep'em Winning, the Penton dealer newsletter, that you should file the hole larger, NEVER drill it. He says to put the engine in the frame and bolt it in place using the 8MM stud.  Lay the bike on it's side and push the stud 1/2 way into the engine and use a file to enlarge the hole to 10mm. Insert the 10mm stud halfway into the engine from the side you just enlarged and then file the other hole. I wish Ted was still around and could explain why you shouldn't drill the hole, but if Ted said thats how to do it, then I know I would follow his instructions. Hope this helps.
Paul

Randy Kirkbride

Thanks Paul,
I'll try that tonite.  It sounds simple enough.  I didn't know if I would have to reinforce the brackets or not.  The ones on my '75 Six Days are a lot beefier.