Motor paint

Started by Mick Milakovic, August 07, 2003, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi all, I remember an earlier post saying that PJ1 barrel pain #17brls was a good color match for KTM motors, but I was wondering two questions:  1) is this same paint used on the cooling fins and 2) what paint is used on the triple tree?  In advance, thank you.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Kip Kern

Mick
The fins on the cylinder aren't painted.  The cylinder head was painted and the PJ1 looks great, or if you wish, Eastwood sells a "Alumiblast" paint that matches Sachs engines and will work on the cylinder head of the silver 175/250/400.

Mick Milakovic

Thanks, Kip.  The previous owner had painted the fins.  It's obvious because it has flaked off.  If I sandblast the jug and head do I leave them the natural color?  Or is sandblasting too harsh a method?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

john durrill

Mick,
 we  have had good luck sandblasting. we use the inexpensive suction type blaster and 90 psi. the smaller the sand grains the better it will look. we use an old screen we got when we did some prospecting. its maybe 40 mesh. buy play sand at lowes and run it through the screen into a bucket. the head and cylinder look a lot like some of the old works cylinders from days gone by when they are done. hit the parts with wd or crc every time you wash it and it holds up well.
John & Peter

Kip Kern

Mick

I blast everything with 60-80 grit glass beads @ 80 psi.  I blast the cylinders and leave them natural if raced, if a looker, I lightly clear coat them with Hi Temp clear.  The glass beads are safe to use on just about everything including magnesium.

Mick Milakovic

Thanks guys, the bike is a racer, but I want it took good too!

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

3putt

Please advise where PJ1 is available, Thanks in advance.   Nelson

wnm

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Nelson,
Most MC shops carry PJ1 oils & paint, but you can order by phone at #480-991-3137 ext 5000