Jackpiner Speedometer Mount

Started by Gary Brinton, August 28, 2003, 09:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Brinton

I've found a VDO speedometer for my 72 Jackpiner.  However, I can't remember what the speedometer mount looked like.  Can anyone describe it or have a picture?
Thanks,
Gary
[email protected]

Blue_Dog

I think it mounts on the crossbar of the handlebars with a clip type bracket.Sorry on picture.
B_D

john durrill

the 72 used the same enduro kit as the 100/125. it used a small L bracket that bolted to a rubber bushing. the bushing was mounted to the steering stem cap nut. a hose clamp held the VDO to the L bracket. we used 2 innertube rubber bands to hold the VDO tight to the cross bar.
JOhn D

Gary Brinton

Thanks, I found the parts in my Sachs stash, however the rubber mount has disinigrated.  Are they still available?  Also, how is the bezel removed from the speedo.  I can turn it but it doesn't spin off.
Gary

Blue_Dog

How is the bezel removed from the speedo?
Bad news,its rolled on around the lip of the speedo case. Don't mean to disagree with John
but I don't remember the L bracket and hose clamp with intertubes. But if he says its that way on 72's I bet it is.
I sure don't know if you can tell but the speedo on my 73 had a metal collar the attached to the rubber mounted bracket on the handlebars with two bolts on each side. You can see the metal "strap" in the picture.
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pentonrestorationandtechgroup/vwp?.dir=/POG+Group+Album&.src=gr&.dnm=Blue_Dog+1974.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pentonrestorationandtechgroup/lst%3f%26.dir=/POG%2bGroup%2bAlbum%26.src=gr%26.view=t
I think I have a large photo of the area you are talking about. I did order the bike as an Enduro model, so the kit may and probably was as John described.
B_D

Rocket

My 73 Jackpiner had the "L" bracket and you would have to secure it to the crossbar with inner tube rubber bands or it bounced around and destroyed itself.  Seventy-four was the 1st year that I saw the aluminum mounts on the crossbar, but that doesn't mean they didn't use them in 73.  All Penton's are different!!
Rocket

Bob

Quotequote:
Don't mean to disagree with John
but I don't remember the L bracket and hose clamp with intertubes. But if he says its that way on 72's I bet it is.

John's right. An L bracket mounted on top of a rubber bushing ( like exhaust bushings ) and a metal spacer.
The other mount which mounts to the crossbar is the Highpoint aftermarket mount I believe.
I have the original 72 mount and could post a picture if there's interest. Might take me a day or so.

Bob

Edited by - Bob on 08/30/2003  6:23:03 PM

Edited by - Bob on 08/30/2003  6:23:39 PM

Blue_Dog

Did anyone look at the picture and click to enlarge it. Its pretty obvious that it is like I described.
B_D

Bob

Quotequote:
Did anyone look at the picture and click to enlarge it. Its pretty obvious that it is like I described.

Yahoo's photo area will not let you view the photo at full resolution.
 Put it in the area called "Files" and we'll be able to see it better.
 I have the Highpoint backet too if anyone needs a photo.

Edited by - Bob on 08/30/2003  9:01:42 PM

Bob

Quotequote:
the rubber mount has disinigrated. Are they still available?.

You can get them at either Graingers or McMaster-Carr.
They are the same as the exhaust mounts.

Both companies have large websites.

Larry Perkins

Gary

To get the speedo to turn or reset you have to pull out on the knob and then turn.  You might know this but I thought I would add it just in case.

Gary Brinton

Thanks Bob,
I have a couple of those isolators and they worked just fine.
Gary