Another California Bike

Started by Jigsaw, August 18, 2003, 06:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw

Just read about the backyard find near the mouse house in Anaheim. I just retrived my 1968 Berkshire V 799 from the desert.(been there about twenty years at the in-laws)

Is the EARLY sachs 100 steel tanker worth restoring. I have NO clue as to value etc. I also live in Anaheim and would like to contact a local penton expert if available.

tomale

Jigsaw,
It all depends on what you want, what kind of shape is it in and how much time and money you want to throw at it. If the bike is not in too bad of shape then more than likely it is worth it. If it is in really bad shape then you might want to sell it like it is to some one who has one and could use the parts. I do not own one but judging for the amount of interest here you might find it a bit hard to find some things like fenders and pipes but I think you should be able to get most of the engine parts.. If the bike was stored in a really dry place the chances are that you may not have too much rust to deal with, both inside and out. You will need to pull the head and barrel to give it a good look see. While you are at it check the end play on the botton side of the Rod. You will need to replace the crank seals. They maybe fine now but if you start riding, those old seals could let go.. They get stiff with old age... like us. Check your tank and the carb to make sure that they are in good shape. Pull the mag cover to see what kind of shape it is in as well. Did you keep oil in the tranmission, it will probaly need to be flushed at the very least. Pull the clutch cove off and check for rust. Has it been started a few times since it was put away? Starting it and running it through the gears a few time even once a year could have been helpful in keeping it in good shape.
Some of the other guys would be able to help you with sachs engine stuff. There are still quite a few of these out there and some of the guys work on them. Don't sell it off util you have done your home work. The worth of the bike will depend greatly on its shape and what someone is will to pay for it and what your willing to take to part with it, if indeed you want to part with it. I never could part with my bike. You could not give me enough to buy it from me. I met my wife of 23 years as a result of that bike and I plan on keeping both.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Jigsaw

tomale,
What was I thinking, .... a Penton is aways worth restoring.
Thanks for the input. I bought the bike for my wife to ride in 1970.I chased around on a 360. Times and interests having changed  this would be a project bike to restore and not ride.  It is still in VERY GOOD shape (less the sun baked paint and rubber). It was parked, fuel in the tank etc. I have the stock fenders (used the plastic ones and kept the good ones in the garage)
It has minimum rust considering. I have started to pull some parts and take a look. The gas tank is looking much better thanks to P.O.G and Berryman's b-12 and beebees.
I think my main concern is I dont want to screw up the bike /engine by getting in over my head. I do have pic's avail if anyone wants to take a look. I think I have talked myself into starting the project.

tomale

Jigsaw, Glad to hear that you will be keeping the bike. As you have already discoverd, this is the place to find information of Pentons. I never did ride one of the littler pentons, by the time that I could afford one I was too big for them and besides my interests have always been on the motocross track. As of recent I have gained a new respect for all those enduro guys and the machines they ride. I am even planning on buying a enduro style bike. Who knows maybe I will try my hand at racing one.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W