77 gs6 upper shock mounts

Started by Steve Minor, August 11, 2003, 09:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Aren't there 2 upper shock mount positions to choose from? One more laid down and one more upright?

Steve Minor

Rocket

G Ellis

Steve, there is two settings for a GS6. Top shock mount is used for trail, woods riding. Second hole lay down give you about one inch more travel to rear wheel. Use for motocross and more aggressive riding. When you put shock in lay down postion, I have notice more weight on the front end. Better steering on the front tire in corners. Hope this will help.

Steve Minor

That's what I thought. I've installed 1/2" longer shocks and am experiencing a chain/swingarm clearance problem. By using the more upright shock mount, I have almost eliminated the the problem.

Thanks guys!

Steve Minor

Mike Lenz

Are you sure you dont have a 76. The 77 gs had a mc-5 type frame with only one shock mounting position.

Steve Minor

I'm quite sure it's a 77 GS6 as I bought it new. One of the upper shock mounts (the more laid down one) is right up against the frame tube, almost like a gusset and barely noticable.

Edited by - steve minor on 08/15/2003  08:09:03 AM
Steve Minor

Rocket

I have a 77 175 GS6 and it has 2 shock mounts on the top.  The 77 250GS6 that I sold Chip Thomas also had the 2 mounting positions.
Rocket

Mike Lenz

Are these frames the mc-5 type frame breather frames?

Rocket

Mike
They are the MC5 type with the rear frame loop and hi-breather.
Do you have any rings and keepers for the Marzocchi shocks, remember I talked to you at Walnut about them?
When is the Peoria race?
Rod

Mike Lenz

Wow, you never stop learning how many different versions of bikes Penton made. Ive seen many 77 gs-6's, but none with two top shock mounts. Also while I got you here it looks like you could modify Progressive shock clips to work on the marzooks.