Mr. Penton's coast-to-coast record.

Started by rob w, August 27, 2003, 11:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I find this stuff fascinating, I hope you also enjoy it. I met Mr. Penton in 1973 at my local Penton shop and it really did change my life in a way, beside also meeting Kenny Roberts (I used to live in his home town) ,there was never two people that I have met that I have admired more. Like I've said here in the P.O.G. from day one, I love the motorcycle, but I really enjoy being here because of the people involved.

I just got this magazine last week, it is a "Cycle" from August 1959.

How would you like to leave New York City at 5:59 AM on Monday morning, and at 8:10 AM on Wednesday arrive in Los Angeles--just 52 hours, 11 minutes an 1 second total elasped time--which includes time consumed for refueling, eating and sleep?
 That's exactly what 33-year old John Penton did on June 8, 9, 10, 1959, covering 3051 miles.
 The incredible John slept only 45 minutes enroute, ate two ham sandwiches, drank two cups of milk and a bowl of soup. He stopped only long enough to fill his tank on his 600cc BMW R-69.

Questions by Floyd Clymer
Answers by John Penton

Q. Are you going to ride back?
A. Yes, I will go back the same way I came, but not to set any records.

Q.How about food?
A. A dealer took me through St. Louis and gave me two ham sandwiches and two cups of milk. This was the only food I had until I got to Albuquerque (NM), where I had some soup in about five minutes.

Q. When did you get any sleep?
A. My first and only stop for sleep was in Flagstaff, Arizona. I slept for three-quarters of an hour.

Q. You must be in excellent physical condition to make such a long ride?
A. I am. I was a physical education major at Baldwin Wallace College in Ohio in 1949 and I learned much then about how to prepare for strenuous activities.

And there's more, but I think that's pretty incredible for the time, and he never believed in breaking the posted speed limit. There really were'nt any bikes back in that day that could survive the trip without breaking down, but the BMW had no troubles.

I don't know if you've ever taken a ride like this, for me, I rode a Yamaha SR500 (single cylinder) in the spring of "80" from northern Michigan to Modesto, California. That was apx. 2400 miles, and I took three days. I kind of know a little how difficult that non-stop trip would be.
That's why I admire him and all of his efforts so greatly.

Bob

Mick Milakovic

Rob, my longest trip was back in '81:  950 miles in 16 hours from Los Cruces, NM to Houston Texas.  My mind was in a fog when I got there.  Would you happen to know if John's record still stands?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

firstturn

It does and you must remember that was before Interstate systems.  Some years back I obtained a old Texaco map dated 1959 era and traced his journey.  Not only was it an incredible feat at the time, but think of all the conviences we have now that weren't avaliable then (both motorcycle and travel aids).  Thanks Rob for not letting us forget our past to guide us into the future.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh