repacking a Supertrapp exhaust

Started by Steve Minor, August 26, 2003, 12:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Can someone give me some suggestions or guidelines for repacking a Supertrapp exhaust? How much material....how tight...what area to leave open...that sort of stuff.

Thanks
Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 08/26/2003  3:40:45 PM
Steve Minor

john durrill

Steve we just buy a packing kit. they usually have more than enough material. take the core of the trapp out. wrap it tightly with enough glass that it will  slide in the housing , trim off what you dont need. make it a little less than the od where the disks are ( the trapp housing tapers to the rear ). then take some soft mech. wire and spiral rap the glass so it cant unwind, bending the ends over so they stay in place.
 slide the core back in and replace the end cap and disks.
 It works for us and the glass, with the mech wire wraped around it, lasts much longer
 on a side note, most factory specs for jetting in the book are for 20 to 1 oil mix.
 you might need one size smaller needle and main jet if you use something like spectro at 40 or 50 to 1. it might be good to have the smaller jets on hand when you try out the carb after you have rebuilt it.
John & Peter

Steve Minor

John & Peter.....Once again you've helped me out. I'll repack it the way you've described. The bike is shaping up nicely and the carb parts should be here by the weekend. I'm sure I'll "pick your brain" for more info in the future.

Steve

Steve Minor