shock mounting

Started by tmc3c, September 17, 2003, 06:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

In 1976 did penton have marzocchi piggy back shocks on the gs models? and if they did was there only one mounting set up? Reason for the question is that I can only mount from top forward bolt to the last bolt hole on the swing arm toward rear axle,with reivior up,any other way the shock spring hits the brace that the bolt holes are in on the swing arm,I have not tryed it in the upright position.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

They had the Marzocchi gas shocks from 75 on up.  In the laydown position, top mount in forward hole and the bottom mount in the very back hole.  In the verticle position, top mount back hole and bottom mount, any of the one's on the swingarm except the very back.  Resevoir's are mounted down on the 75 and 76 GS oval tube frame.  The picture of this is in the 75 and 76 manuals, not the manual that came in the 3-ring binder but the one that looks like a magazine.
Rocket

tmc3c

Rocket, What position do you use? Which gives the most travel? And with me using leading axle marzocchi forks does the shocks work better for tight woods in the upright or the lay down. Oh by the way , you did a awesome job on my shocks!! Thanks again!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Thomas
Laid down give the most travel, 7", verticle the farther they move forward, the travel increases, I think to around a max of 5 inches.  With the shocks mounted in the laid down position, measure from a fixed point straight above the rear axle, say the frame rail behind the seat to the floor.  Then mount the shocks in the furthest forward verticle position and do the same measurement.  The greater the distance will make the bike turn better in the woods, by making the fork angle a little steeper.  You can also raise the fork tubes in the triple trees to lower the front end and that will help also.  You probably can't raise the tubes very much without hitting the handlebar.  Hopefully I haven't confused you
with my rambling.
Rocket

rob w

Thomas, Rod,

I have read when using the early Marzocchi shocks with the 10mm shafts, it is best not to use them in the "laid-down" position, they may prove to fail (bend), the later 12mm shaft shocks are okay. I also can't believe that the same shocks and springs could be mounted in either position and still have the correct spring rate, I have to think that in the laid-down position, you would need stiffer springs. Of course I may be wrong, I've never checked that out. (?)

tmc3c

Rod & Rob, I belive that I have the large shaft shocks and I have the purple painted springs,even though I painted them black.I didn't know that they came purple.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Thomas
Those are the better shocks and the heavier springs.  They should work in the laydown postion with no problem.
Rocket

tmc3c

Thank's Rocket, You Da Man !

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler