Burr Oak National

Started by generalbay, October 14, 2003, 07:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

generalbay

Does anyone remember the Burr Oak National that was held every year on the first sunday in May in Shelby IN and was hosted by the Midwest Enduro Riders Association? It was in the 1970's and I remember hanging out in the pits and talking to the riders. That's where I saw my first Penton. I even saw the big Penton truck they used to take to the races or at least it seemed big to me. In a conversation I had with Buck Walsworth years later I learned that this was the only race he had a perfect score only to have that honor taken away by a timekeeper who's watch was one minute off. Back in those days you could ride all day and never hit the same trail twice down there. I remember how they would all take off early in the morning and still be coming in late into the evening. Those were the days!!!!
D. Duvall

Doug Wilford

:D  David "Burr Oak" was one of the best national enduros of the time and it was easy to be to work Monday morning after a great day in the woods.   Next time you see Bucky ask him about the fire he created and the "Lonesome Pine National in Virginia.   Yes I am sure you saw the Penton "Cycleliner" at Burr Oak more years than one.

generalbay

The last time I saw Buck he had sold his motorcycle shop to a friend of mine and moved to Colorado where he bought a couple of motels. And the last thing I heard about Buck was when my friend Jerry Birky, who owns the local KTM shop, went on vacation to Colorado and spent the day riding the trails with him and Malcolm Smith. If only all of our vacations could be like that. But I'll be sure to ask about the fire at the Lonesome Pine next time I see him. Take care Doug.
D Duvall