Plastic parts reproductions

Started by Dwight Rudder, October 25, 2003, 01:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

If we could get(as new as possible)Penton plastic items(like
sidepanels,skitdplates chainguards etcetera)we can make moulds and do
reproductions of them.------
I have a friend who has been doing this for Hercules and is interested in doing some Penton stuff if there is interest. Let me know.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Larry Perkins

Dwight

Not sure why you would want to do that as all the things you mentioned have all already been reproduced in plastic, metal, or fiberglass through several sources.  This includes the Falk fenders front, rear, and enduro rear in plastic.  Sidepanels in plastic and fiberglass.  Skidplates in stainless and aluminum. Footpegs in stainless to list a few.

john durrill

Larry how about the chain guards for the 76 and up. the plastic ones . i dont see them offered anywhere. Bet there are lots of little parts from the model changes that are very hard to find. think about it Folks . if its in very short supply to Unobtanium then its worth a short run on the pieces dont you think?
the old style PP headlights look a lot better on the 72 to 75 bikes i think than the later more rounded type headlight # plates.
Just a thought.
 the fork stop bumpers ,i know Rob W is working on them ,but if someone could make them up with out a lot of outlay for materials and time......... or AIR BOX TO CARB boots for the 72 to 75 small bikes . that would be nice to have in a new  repo . one that was not 30 years old. even if i just put it on the shelf till mine died.
 Its good to have a source that can fab up plastic parts in small runs and do it fairly fast.
just my 2 cents.
John d.

Kip Kern

The airbox to carb boots have been reproduced by Al Buehner awhile back.

My 2 cents, the bottom line on reproducing anything is $$$$.  The majority of items that are currently reproduced are being done out of "love" and not profit.  Not only is it very expensive to have a mold made, it is very expensive for a manufacturer to do a short run on a part and keep it affordable for the buyer.  As an example, I have a small factory here that can reproduce the left sidecover for the 72 - 75 airbox, from aluminum, as original and the individual piece cost is around $5 or so, the catch is I have to pay $3,000 + upfront to get the mold made to make the parts.  If I have 50 sidecovers made, how much do I charge to get my money back to cover the cost of the mold (and divorce)?  My hat is off to anyone out there who has and is currently involved in getting parts made for our group, it is a very expensive and timely process done out of love for the sport.

Possibly what we do need is a roster or list of items that have been already been made availabe by members and posted on this site for a handy reference to potential buyers.  I see different sidecovers, airbox boots, fuel caps, fenders etc., once this list is provided ,members can review it and determine for themselves if we need more items produced, query the POG for demand on that item and then "take the ball and run with it" to produce more for the group.  Again, all it takes is $$$$$;)

metalkfab

Here's my two cents on this repop stuff.First contact Al and Larry for all your wanted parts,(example:'72-'76 airboots,Al has repop's)and see if they have or if they've gotten similar requests,that will drive the repop's.Second,We as a group don't buy enough of the "needed" parts as asked,(example:straight gears for Sachs motors,finally being made,but it seemed to be more wanting then buying),and this has to be addressed before someone is going to invest in tooling,time and re-engineering.Third,we need to put together a data base of all repop'd items,(example:fiberglass side covers for '74-'77 MX and GS Penton's.All Custom Fab.(our shop)made a mold for the large pipes (there is (2) different styles)and wholesaled to Al and then someone else made a mold and now sells to Al).We are duplicating our efforts here.Our company repop's about (50) items and we have a inventory of items that don't sell,even when I've asked the members before production.This has curbed my ability to repop,we've got just too much stuff that doesn't sell.The BIGGEST complaint I've heard is "Too Expensive".We don't earn '70's dollars anymore,so why should we expect to buy in '70's dollars.This last item has to be addressed before anyone is going to lay out cash and time.Don't read this wrong,our company is more than willing to tackle just about anything needed,WE LOVE PENTON's,but we need to work as group better to drive needs.

Larry Perkins

Good idea, Kip.  The things that are going to be needed soon plastic won't cover.  But there are some things that still could be done in plastic if the $$$ warrant it.  There are a couple of non-plastic ones I have someone looking at and hopefully if not now soon, others will do the same.  The clutch actuator for the KTM motors is one and another look at selector keys that will hold up under harsh racing conditions for the SACHS motor.

metalkfab

Morning Larry,I've reread this column and see that I've repeated what Kip has said-stupid me.As for the clutch actuators (both styles),we have something in the works now.I'll keep you posted.As for the shift keys,I recently blow-up a motor with a special hardened key in it.Wilford and I will be rebuilding that motor shortly and will be checking the key at that time (the key has about (20)hours on it and didn't fail like the others).If the key held up to my abuse and didn't cause excessive wear or damage to gears,we'll have good ones available shortly after.

DKWRACER

U/surp no-one he says....while it comes as no surprise to me that within the halls of Pentonia there are individuals that make a living to preserve Pentons and their history, this also occurs in Bultaco heaven and other venues. You should also realize that there are others within the fold who do wish to do their part. whitness Kip Kern, (I can't even come close) what about Randy K. ??? Karl at Metal-K-Fab has made phenominal contributions (but he does run a business)
Yet somewhere there is Al Buehner....He has been the best!!!! You should all commend him for his efforts.....I am a racer who has read everything....If I decide to make side-panels it is NOT to disuade the efforts of the preservation of these fine motorcycles, it is my choice, in addition, I have a signed side panel given to me by Al Buehner, it bears the name of John Penton, it will never be auctioned off.....period........Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

metalkfab

I have to agree with DKW.Al Buehner and his brother Dale,have been great for all us Penton Nuts.They work tirelssly for our addiction.We just need to force Al to the 21st. century and get him on line.As for us at All Custom Fab.,the repop's we do have yet to earn us a profit.That is OK with us,we do this out of LOVE for the memories that this group has given us.Most of the items we repop are done as filler at our shop (we run a fast pace and we don't like to slow down when we're slow with regular work,so we fill in those slow times with Penton stuff).Some of the repop's are a real challenge and it's fun to try things.

Rocket

I just have to jump in here and say I am very pleased with the Vendors and the individuals that make-sell parts and pieces.  I am always amazed with Al because he usually has what I need and it is no big deal to him.  This whole group is a great bunch of people, glad to be associated with them.
Keep up the great work, we all appreciate it!!
Rocket

DKWRACER

Live Long and Prosper....I thought all-day about my earlier rant....these "Spawning" processes really do help and I am very happy to be a part, GUESS WHAT, I get to ride my Penton too.....
Thomas Brosius

Mike OReilly

I purchased a replca Falk enduro fender from Rik Smits for my '73 "Jack Penton Replica" that I tode at the Reunion. He made them to fit Hercules, but with a little cutting it went on well. It was a really well done piece and at $40 I considered it great value.

Having said that, it's clear from the comments of other members that the area of Penton "re-pops" is pretty well covered, and that it is not simply a case of "build it and they will come".

On the other hand, one area where reproductions seem to be pretty much non-existant is the Preston Petty stuff. It seems to me hat there would be a good demand for items like the I.T. rear fender, the headlight, and in particular the I.B. front fender and the other ones that flowed from that (like the Tony 'D'). This would have a broader market than just one marque and would also seem to be right up Rik's alley given te stuff that he does now.

Mike

LynnCamp

I believe it was Karl who mentioned:
"we need to put together a data base of all repop'd items,(example:fiberglass side covers for '74-'77 MX and GS Penton's..."

If you ever get serious about a database, let me know. As weird as it sounds -- similar to your obsession with working on vintage bikes, I am obsessed with designing database applications and dynamic, data-driven websites.

metalkfab

Mike,Your right on the mark about PP stuff,like the headlight/number plate.As for front I.B.Fenders,Rick at Vintage Iron has that covered.LynnCamp,E-Mail me your fax number and I can eventually send you a listing of all the items we repop and items that are in the works.It would be great if I could do it via the computer,but I'm not that quick.At one time my son helped me,but he's too busy with high school to help now.