FS: 1978 KTM 400 MC5

Started by Danny Metz, November 12, 2003, 11:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny Metz

Hi folks:  I am new to this site, and hope you can help me out. I have a fully restored 78 KTM 400 MC5 that needs to find a new home.  I am unable to ride any longer due to back/neck injuries (car accident), and the truth is that this bike has not had 10 hours put on it since I restored it in 1995/96.  I do not claim to be an expert in Penton/KTM history, but I can tell you the bike is complete, and runs excellent.  It was stripped completely, the frame glass blasted and painted.  All seals, bearings, hand controls, cables, brakes, tires are new.  The tank was stripped and repainted and the only problem is that the fuel weeps out between the filler neck and the tank, which has caused the paint to peel.  I built this bike to ride, and the paint is as close to original colors as I could approximate from pictures.  

I have some idea of what this bike is worth, and am entertaining offers.  The bike is located in NW South Carolina, and I can take digital pics this weekend if anyone is interested.

Danny

maicobuddy

Hi,
Where in S.C. are you located? How much do you want for it? Thanks, Buddy

tmc3c

Danny, I am in Greer:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Danny Metz

Hi guys,

I am currently sitting in Clemson, but live in Anderson.  The bike is in my basement in Anderson.  Regarding what I want for the bike . . .
I called Alan Buehner a couple of days ago to ask about the best way of selling this bike.  It was his suggestion that I put it up on this site.  When Alan told me what he thought the bike was worth, I was shocked!  It was considerably more than I figured!  But keep in mind, I am willing to entertain offers, and you won't hurt my feelings!  FWIW, Alan thought the bike might bring in the neighborhood of $3000.  Anyone who is interested is welcome to come to my house and take it for a spin.  And this weekend, I'm planning to clean it up and take some digital pictures.

Larry Perkins

If Al thinks a 1978 250 GS is worth $3000 you should sell it to him.  First off it is real hard to estimate a bike you can't see.  But I don't think there are many 78 KTMs that will bring that much.  THIS IS IN THE NORMAL WORLD, ON EBAY WITH ANYTHING ALL BETS ARE OFF.  DEPENDS ON THE LOOKERS, THE DAY, AND IF MORE THAN ONE GUY IS A HARD HEAD.  In the real world the 78 is in no mans land except for collecting.  In racing MX it is in Grand Prix class which goes up to 81 or so and those are superior bikes.  In cross-country it is just lumped into Post-Vintage class which on some bikes goes up to 84 some of which are even watercooled.  I would have to see it to give a OPINION but sight unseen I would bet $3000 is a decent amount off  reality.

Danny Metz

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your input.  Like I said, I was REAL surprised by what Alan told me.  I have no knowledge of the actual value, and was hoping someone on this forum would be interested.  Its not doing me or it any good just sitting there!  And it is a 400 MC5, not a 250.
Care to give me a real world idea of what I can expect to get for it?  Other than being dirty from sitting, and needing some fresh fuel, it is ready to go.

Larry Perkins

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

If Al thinks a 1978 400 MC5 is worth $3000 you should sell it to him.  First off it is real hard to estimate a bike you can't see.  But I don't think there are many 78 KTMs that will bring that much.  THIS IS IN THE NORMAL WORLD, ON EBAY WITH ANYTHING ALL BETS ARE OFF.  DEPENDS ON THE LOOKERS, THE DAY, AND IF MORE THAN ONE GUY IS A HARD HEAD.  In the real world the 78 is in no mans land except for collecting.  In racing MX it is in Grand Prix class which goes up to 81 or so and those are superior bikes.  In cross-country it is just lumped into Post-Vintage class which on some bikes goes up to 84 some of which are even watercooled.  I would have to see it to give a OPINION but sight unseen I would bet $3000 is a decent amount off  reality.

maicobuddy

HI Danny,
I'd have to agree with Larry..$3,000.00 sounds way off the mark..if it was a '81 KTM495 or '81 Maico 490 it might bring that much in Great shape..but then again we have not seen it..so who knows..if you can get some pic's of it I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like and then I could make an offer..you can email me at [email protected] for the guy's in S.C. especially on the coast I have opened a small off-road shop and it will be Vintage friendly..Thanks, Buddy

tmc3c

Hey Buddy, Don't foget about me in the upstate, depending on how friendly you get it might just be worth a shipping fee to Greer S.C. I still need a lot, are you opening a shop in Summerville?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

maicobuddy

Hi Thomas,
Yes I opened up on Nov. 1st in Summerville..right now I'm carrying United Motors mini-cycles & mini-ATV's and the usual stuff, just got some Metro stuff in yesterday and I'm waiting on my VI catalog..email me if you want the phone #..Thanks, Buddy

swamp fox

Danny,
There is a member here on POG that has/had a 78 400 MC5 for sale on his website. I don't know how current it is, but he has a picture of it and is asking $2995. //www.scooterdudesvmx.com

Buddy,
 I'm in Mt. Pleasant myself, so I might just have to ride to Summerville to check you out.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Danny Metz

Hi folks,

I appreciate all the replies.  The pictures of Scooterdudes bike look almost identical to mine with the exception that his appears to have the correct decals.  Since I built this bike to ride, I was not that worried about the decals being correct.  Buddy:  I will have pictures coming your way very shortly.  Being new to this forum, is there any way to post pictures here?  And, FWIW, I don't expect to get $3k for my bike . . .  I was merely passing on what I was told.  Thanks again for all your help.