Shock Question?

Started by crash carden, November 22, 2003, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash carden

Hello Fellow Penton Fans, I recently bought a Penton with works performance shocks mounted on it, and they have air valve's on them.Are these shocks gas filled or are the valve's for air presure to set the stiffness of the shock? They do not have a reservor on them , they just look like a normal shock with air valve's at the top of them. Don't mean to sound dumb but I have never owned a set like this,so I don't want to do the wrong thing and mess them up.If they are gas what do I need to buy/do to recharge them? Thanks for any help, Crash Carden.

Jdbglover

Crash,

The Works Performance shocks are charged with nitrogen at either 250 or 280 lbs.  I have an old set of works performance rebuild instructions in a box at home, I could scan them for you if want. I had the shocks rebuilt by works perfomance this summer at a cost of $115, seals, fuild and a recharge.  These were NOS black body with fins, circa 1978.

John

Dwight Rudder

Do not try and adjust the nitrogen pressure yourself. Just one phftttttt, and it is all gone.  IF the decal is right side up when the springs are at top , it has a floating piston to allow spring up mounting. What ever the mounting the decal must read right side up.
I like the floating piston as it makes the shock look more original with springs up and adds clearance for the chain.
Cher'o,
Dwight
[^]

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.