520 or 530 ?

Started by rdrnr, November 16, 2003, 09:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdrnr

I don't know which one I have.  I read in past Discussion's that the 530 is 1/8 wider than the 520 but how wide is the 520 or the 530?  James

tomale

James, If you are replacing a chain then yea it is a good idea to know which is which. Clean off one of the links on the old chian and on the side between the pins that hold the chain together, the size should be inprinted. If the chain has been on there since the bike was new and it is as old as my bike. then it will have a 530 chain. If in deed it is a 175 or larger bike. (not sure about the 175) A 530 chain will fit on a 520 sprocket but it will be sloppy. Not a good idea. you could lose a chain and that could get expensive. The pitch on both chains are the same. but as you have already figured out, the 530 chain is wider.  I went to a 520 chain on my bike because it is easyier to find chains. And I can get that locally. Not so with the 530 or at least not very easyily. I was in need of new sprockets any way and I thought I will save my self a few buck and make it easyier on me too. Al B. fixed me right up. While I was at it I bought a couple extra countershaft sprockets so that I could change the gearing if I need to..... and yes I needed to. After I changed out the carb for a mikuni I discovered that it changed the way the bike pulled and I needed to go up one tooth on the countrshaft sprocket to keep it from needing to shift too often. Those tight corners made it hard because I was shifting between them where I did not have to before. hope this helps.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

rdrnr

Tom, thanks for the help.  I bought Donny's 74 400 mint and it has a o-ring chain and I had no idea what size it was.  Larry has some rear sprockets on ebay, so I did not know what size I needed.  The one's on it are good but I want some extra.  Now when I go to the shop tomorrow I will know.  Thanks a bunch.  James

Rocket

James
A 530 chain measures 5/8" x 3/8" and a 520 is 5/8" x 1/4".  The 5/8" is the distance between the pins and the 3/8" is the width.
Rocket

tlanders

James,

I've converted all my bikes with 530 chains to 520. It's lighter. I also can't stand o-ring chains because I can't ever get the master link on and off. I've tried every trick in the book and it's too much hazzle. Get a good quality non o-ring chain, take it off and wash it in kerosene and then oil it after every race day.

Teddy

rdrnr

Guy's are the 520's as strong as the 530's.  My 400 has the 520 o-ring and the 250 has the 530.  Is bigger better in these cases?  Like the rear and front sprocket.  Or is it to hard to find a 530?  Is there really that much weight difference? [?]  James

Rocket

Teddy
The trick to o-ring master links is to take a 6mm nut and a vice grip.  Place the nut over the link plate and the pin it goes over.  Gently squeeze going back and forth and next thing you know, you can put the clip on.  If you have an extra vice grip, silver solder the nut right to one of the jaws.  Works great.
Rocket

tomale

530 chains can be had but with today's technology I do not think that the smaller size of the 520 chains are a problem. Think about this too, The 530 chains are heavier, right.... so that means that you are taking up more horsepower to turn it. If you can get the same strenght with less weight and end up with more power at the wheel... factor in that 530 chains are hard to come by and it only makes sense, at least to me to go with the 520 chain.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rocket

All of the modern dirt bikes run 520 chain and very seldom do you ever here of one breaking a chain.  The new 250's have as much power if not more than the older 400's etc.  I run 520 o-ring on my KTM 200EXC and the chain and sprockets will last a whole season.
530 chain is the same as number 50 roller chain.  On bikes that I restore, I buy #50 chain at farm equipment type locations, Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply, etc.  Much cheaper than buying chain from a dealer and it works just as well.  
My opinion you can run 530 chain on 520 sprockets with no problem, especially in muddy conditions, more room for the mud to squish out.
Rocket.

rdrnr

My 74 250's chain has DID 50 on it.  So I guess that is a 50 roller chain that you mentioned.  So when it goes should I go with another one, or do you recomend a 520?  It sounds like in the long run I should go with the 520.  Some where in here(search mode), some one said, that the  front sprocket should be spaced out if going to a 520 from a 530.  If I change everything to a 520 will that be o.k. or do I need to space it.  James

Rocket

James
My opinion, go to the 520 sprockets front and rear and run an o-ring 520 chain.  They last so much longer, and chain stretch is minimal.  I wash my bike, spray WD40 on the chain and let her be.
Rocket