Flywheel Removal

Started by tofriedel, November 12, 2003, 09:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tofriedel

I have a bit of a dilemma in repairing a Penton 175 Jackpiner.  I am trying to remove the flywheel to set the timing.  unfortunately the flywheel does not want to budge.  I am using the correct puller, but using pressure from the puller, lubricate, heat (250 F), & mild tapping on the puller the fylwheel remains firmly on the crankshaft.

I am hesitant to pond on the puller as I do not want to destroy the threaded portion of the crank.  Been there, done that.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony
Tony

Larry Perkins

I assume the flywheel nut is off.  Make sure the flywheel puller is in as far as it can go so you have ahold of as many threads as possible.  Then use an air impact on the puller bolt.  The whap whap whap will get it off.  You either have some oxidation or a sheared flywheel key with debris causing you grief.  Twenty or thirty years of sitting don't help.

Rocket

Tony
Screw the puller in as fas as it will go, tighten the bolt down on the crank to put some pressure on the puller and then give it a sharp rap with a hammer.  They usually pop right off.  So far, I haven't had one fail by doing it this way.
Rocket

PJM

Tony,

I was having difficulty removing the flywheel nut until last week.  I would recommend laying the bike on its side and spraying the shaft with PB Blast over a day or 2.  It is the best rust penetrant and breaker I have ever used.

Good luck,

Pat

pjm
Pat Mickevicius

swamp fox

Tony,
After the soaking, Pat can tell you about how far you have to push the bike before everything slips off.:D[:o)]

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

PJM

Tony,

Pushing the bike for 3/4 of a mile (to the gas station)worked for me.  

Samp Fox,
They came off sooo easy after 3/4 of a mile, I think that 1/2 mile or less might work.:D

pjm
Pat Mickevicius