Choke cable ... Bing 54

Started by tmc3c, November 23, 2003, 02:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Has anybody sent there bing off to get reworked and did they have the choke cable? also the reeds on my reed vavle need to be replaced and I think I asked this before but does anyone else know where they can be found ?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dennis D

Tom, I got a cable from a bicycle shop and made one for my Piner. The housing is the right dia. All I had to do is fix the length of it. Dennis D

tmc3c

Hi Dennis, I have never thought of that one,how was the quality of the cable you used ? I mean do you think it will hold up?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dennis D

Well they are used as brake cables on the bikes and that has a lot more stress. I used the end that goes in the choke lever that was on the cable and on the other end I used acid core solder and filed it to fit my choke slide. It's worked ok so far. Dennis D

Mark Annan

I have made my own choke and throttle cables using bicycle stuff also.  It works great.  For the small "barrel" end I use small diameter brass tube.  Cut it to length, slip it over the end of the cable and solder it on.  Quick and easy.  You can get the tube at hobby shops and some hardware stores.  I used the Teflon coated cable in a standard housing.  It really gives a smooth action.  Use the housing ferules to cover the end of the cable housing for a better appearance.  You can even get fancy and use color coordinated housings.  They come in several colors.  You can get the inner cable and the outer housing by the foot.    

Mark