Sachs B stripped threads on oil drain hole

Started by pentonpal, November 25, 2003, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentonpal

Gents,

I have a Sachs B engine with stripped threads on the oil drain hole. Is helicoil the preferred method to fix?  Does this repair work well with magnesium?  Are there others to consider?

Regards,

Scott

firstturn

Scott,
First you ask if helicoil is the preferred method to fix this problem.  I say no,  read on. Do you have the engine a part or are just trying to fix the problem with the engine assembled?  I assume the engine is assembled.  All you are trying to do is get the drain back in it's place AND NEVER USE IT AGAIN.  Always change oil by removing the clitch side cover.  Clean the old thread area and the plug and apply JB Weld.  Let it set for 48 hours and your done.
  If you have the engine apart (and are German) the helicoil is fine.  But remember you don't want the engine losing oil nor have the plug back out. So either way you want I still prefer method #1.
  This what I have had to do over the years to help others, so I hope it helps.
  Secondly,  The question on magnesium.  I have put helicoils in magnesium.  How well it works depends on the preparation and the skill level of the person doing the job  The cases on a "B" are a aluminum alloy.  Have a great Thanksgiving.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Scott since I choose to write the above if you have any questions you can reach me at the following this week.
Cell  832.722.0408
Home  830.895.1968
e-mail:  [email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Scott

I have had very good luck with Helicoil and Recoil products, Like Ron stated earlier, you have to install the product properly for it to work.  Also, your cases are probably aluminum but there were a few magnesium Sachs engines out there, mostly "A" Sachs engines.  Good luck!

metalkfab

Wasn't there a suggestion that you could thread a NPT pipe plug into a stripped hole ?

Doug Wilford

Metalkfab is correct.  AS is First turn and Kip   I generally use the NPT pipe plug for filling the hole and then always remove the left side cover to change tranny oil.   Just my theory, the age of the alloy castings has made them more brittle and the reason for stripping out drain plugs.   30 years ago that was a relatively unknown problem.

pentonpal

Gents,

Good advice guys, looks like several options to consider.  I did some research today and Helicoil has a kit for the m10 x 1 drain threads, clearly a possible solution.

Can you give me more info on this NPT pipe plug, I am totally unfamiliar.  Is it a product like JB Weld, or is it some sort of self tapping plug?

Happy Thanksgiving,

Scott  

Rocket

Scott
When they say NPT, that means National Pipe Thread.  What you will probably need is a 1/4" NPT pipe plug.  You should be able to buy one at any hardware store.  You might have to use a 1/4" pipe tap first to rethread the hole.  You can buy the tap at a hardware stoere also.
Rocket

Dennis D

If you are going to tap that hole out be sure to put grease on the tap. This will help collect the filings from the case. I have tapped the drain hole on both of my Piners to 1/2 inch NF and used a drain plug and gasket that I get at work. Dennis D