corrosion

Started by yamahawr250f, December 05, 2003, 05:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamahawr250f

Ok guys I need some help.  I just brought out my two snowmobiles from storage in my enclosed trailer that I had parked in a semi shaded area and upon inspection of the engine compartment area I have a serious corrosion problem on the clutches and carbs,
cylinder head bolts and the outside of the engine cases.  Obviously from condensation but I need your expertise on [b]how to clean it up[/b]. Talking about this subject might help some people in their restoration projects and or how to prevent this type of degradation.  I am not a metalurgist but it seems that some metals are more suseptable to this than others. Why and how? What I am asking for is what product to use to clean it up, what techniques to use and what products work best and how to prevent this from happening while our precious machines are in storage.
Oh yeah I am the proud new owner of John Hardins 1970 Penton Six Day
Steel Tanker, I am in heaven, my first two Pentons in two weeks.

Rocket

I would suggest on the aluminum parts that you try spray on mag wheel cleaner.  I wuld try the weakest solution first and be ready to wash it off with water.  On the head bolts, I imagine that is just light surface rust and you could use a piece of scotchbrite and WD40 to clean that up.  Scotchbrite will scratch so don't use on chrome and rub lightly on other metals. For storage protection, I use LPS3 to coat parts.  It dries to a real protective film, similar to cosmoline.
Solvent or contact cleaner will clean the LPS3 off.
This is just my opinion and please use at your own risk.
Rocket