14.5" Redwing Shocks on Six Days

Started by namgar, December 02, 2003, 06:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namgar

I know the stock shock length for my 1973 Six Days is 13.5", but does anyone know if it is OK to put a 14.5" eye-eye pair of shocks on?  My guess is that it will lift the back end a tad and therefore quicken the steering a little.  My concern is the the shocks I have available are Redwings and have the large reservoir at the bottom and I'm worried about clearance at the bottom.  It seems OK under compression but looks like it might hit the shock bracket under full extension.

Any Thoughts?  I also have a 14.5" pair of Legends available but they don't looks as cool.

Will

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

firstturn

William,
I believe that because of the configuration of the bodies that go both fore and aft that the Redwings will hit the shock mounting bracket.  It was a long time ago that I tried this since I was offered the shocks free from a sponser.  I never used them(I think) for that reason.
FYI-In the '70's there was a kit to extend the front forks (with no increase in travel) so that one could run longer rear shocks and keep the rake angle the same.  I used this method to give more ground clearence for my down pipe.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Gavin Housh

You also have to think about chain slack. With the shock that long the chain will saw though the brake arm, as well as the top of the swingarm. You also run the risk of chain derailment. On a six day if you don't have a case protector, when the chain flys off it destroyes the engine case. Use 13 in. shocks. If you want more travel buy a Penton in the 1976-1978 years. These later machines are built with long travel suspension. One more thing Legends shocks are ok, and in the 13.5 in. length you can use them without to much trouble. You may need to fashion some delrin or nylon plastic on top of the swingarm for the chain to slide on. I used some 3/16in. delrin cut to 1 3/4in.X 5in. Then I held it on the swingarm with some small C clamps, and applied a large bead of clear silicon around the edges to hold it on. I've had it on for six yaers of racing and it wasn't moved. Good luck. Gavin