Motoplat stator availability

Started by TGTech, December 28, 2003, 01:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

I have seen a number of different threads on this forum about Motoplat ignitions, and I thought that I'd throw out the information that Penton Imports still has N.O.S. stators for the 9600176-1 Motoplat flywheels. This is an external type flywheel ignition for motocross use only, as it does not have any lighting coils in it.

The flyhweel and stators can not be intermingled with the lighted type ignitions, because of the design of the flywheels and stators. If you were to try and install one of these flywheels over a stator that has the capability to power lights, I can guarantee you, that you will destroy the stator, due to the difference in engineering.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Motoplat model numbering system, the number quoted above, can be found on the outside circumference of the flywheel. The number on the front face of the flywheel, is a serial number only, and has no meaning other than to numerically link it to the stator to which it was originally matched when it was made.

I hope this information has been of some use, but if anyone needs further information, you can call us during the business day at 440-988-4474.

Dane Leimbach

DKWRACER

Fantastic it is!!! Recorded and preserved in a database it should....this is one but another tidbit in the vaults of Penton information....my guess is that we need to complile all these into one simple database at the head of the POG intro screen, it can be done, we have a very good Webmaster, just needs a bit of organization, come-on lets do it!!!!!!!
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

Some clarification in the matter is to be resolved, I looked at a 400 ignition today, what I found was a 4 wire stator with the outer -1 designation on the rotor, it is only used for MX, therefore could it be said that I risk no harm in frying my stator as long as I do not put any load on the lighting coils, crips did I worry today.......
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

I should have mentioned that it is possible , with my colleage's explanation, that in order to produce voltage for the lighting coils , some rotating magnets buried with-in the outer flywheel come into play, with the proper combination comes ignition and lighting, now , here comes on-other trivia, if you want both ignition and lighting, what designation on the outer rotator guarantees that you have the proper combination of both.....yipes I stand in earnest....
Thomas Brosius

TGTech

DKW:
I'm sorry if I don't completely understand your question, but I'll try to give you enough information that you don't get yourself in trouble.

First of, I know of no four wire stators. They either had two, three, or five. Actually, I think the Pentons only ever had five wire stators. The KTM's had the two and three wire units.

The -1 designation, doesn't refer to the compatibility of the flywheels and stators. That refers to whether or not the stator contains the circuit diode or it is in the coil. And in point of fact, that only holds true, if the flywheel and stator are a matched set. If the flywheel's model number doesn't have the -1 on it, the diode is in the stator. If it is a -1 unit, then the diode is in the coil.

The three and five wire stators, trigger off the iron pin that sticks out the front of the stator, where the two wire stator triggers off a coil that is on one of the radial poles of the stator. The flywheels for the five wire stators with the trigger pin protruding from the face of the stator, have a groove machined into the inside face of the flywheel, into which the pin protrudes. On one side of the flywheel, there is a steel shoe molded into the flywheel, that triggers the circuit when it passes the trigger pin.

There is a groove in the inside face of the "two wire" flywheels, but it is not machined. If you try to put a two wire flywheel over a five wire stator, it will come in contact with the trigger pin, and more than likely, do harm to the stator.

I hope this has helped clear up any confusion.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.

DKWRACER

Something for "Keeping Track" a pictoral would do wonders......Thanks
Thomas Brosius

Mark Annan

Dane,

Thanks for the info.  

What's the deal with the 3 wire units??  I have one (model # 9000142) for a KTM motor.  I know what the blue and black wire do, what about the third (yellow) wire?  

Any update on the new MZ-B ignition systems?

Mark