greetings from europe

Started by twinshox, December 23, 2003, 10:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinshox

hey..just wanted to let u know that your site is quite cool. i like vintage motocross an every old ktm mx-bike. if you need any information from european traders and so on... let me know...

how much worth is a 79 ktm 350ccm gs80 in usa ?! (pics on my site .. its being rebuilt... are old)... we got tons of spare parts back here in germany... how are the prices "over there"?:)

cu all
have a blessed x-mas and a happy new year!!!

greetings from germany

thorsten

1979 Gs80 350ccm
\\"4SALE\\"... KTM 350 + 125 and lots of parts

Dennis D

Do you have any speedometer drives for the front wheel for the VDO speedometers? Dennis D

twinshox

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dennis D

Do you have any speedometer drives for the front wheel for the VDO speedometers? Dennis D

hi dennis... those are pretty hard to get... though they brake all the time... do you mean the "plastic-thing" that goes right into the front wheel (guess you call that hub or so ?!)...

i need the last two on my own... you should try //www.ktm-musch.de they got everything from ktm since 1973 (nearly everything)...

so far
kind regards thorsten

1979 Gs80 350ccm

Paul Danik

Thorsten,
   Welcome to the POG forum.  It is always nice to have a new person join the forum, but being that you are from Germany makes it extra nice.  Can you tell us a little about the vintage movement in Germany?  Are there many events? Can you ride off road much or is most of the land off-limits?  Do you ever see any of the early KTM/Penton bikes, 1968-1974?
    Sorry for all of the questions, but I am always curious as to what  is happening in other countries.  

Again, welcome!!!
Paul Danik

Dennis D

Thorsten, Bad manners on my part! I should have said welcome before I started looking for parts. The drive that I am looking for drives off of the front wheel. The speedometer cable hooks to it and the housing is made of "pot" metal. I don't think that they would be near as hard to find if people would have put some grease in them once in a while. The ones for the early Pentons (72 175) Have a taper to the hole for the nut. I have an nos one for a Husky but I hate to make a doner out of it because someone is going to need it and I am sure they are as rare as the Pentons. I traded some parts to a guy in the UK for one but it wasn't in very good shape. Between that one and a couple of other junkers I had I made one that works but now I need another for my other Piner. I checked out the web site that you suggested but couldn't figure out much. The part # I need is a 52.09.052.000. If you run across one let me know. Welcome to the group and don't hesitate to ask if you need some help with a project. There is a weath of knowledge here and everyone is willing to help. Dennis D

twinshox

:Dnever had a message board with that much time delay:D:D:D

by the way thanx for the nice welcome you gave me... back in europe there is a kind of revival of vintage mx/ offroad bikes... they get more and more expensive each day...

we got lots of races to compete in... all over europe, most of the time very good organized... every kind of machine... cz, matchless, bsa, norton, ktm/penton... many drivers from czech-rep, denmark... after x-mas i will try to make list for you with sites with nice pics... sorry but most of the sites are in german... guess u all have seen the site about ktm from italy already ?!

i'm trying to built one on my own.. but i'm not that good in html.. therefore it takes time (that i don't have:().. but we'll see...

i'm from berlin, and around here there are several "championships" a year... but if you are willing to do so.. travel through europe and compete in all races... besides the races its not that hard to drive... to find a place to drive... yes its forbidden to go into the green...and it costs if u do so... u have to search for a offroad/mx track and thats not the problem... but i don't like the new tracks, there are all being built for the new exc,whatever... so you need about 100cm of "damping-space" within the front fork and the rear shock:D  

i prefer tracks that are prepared for trial trucks, jeeps and the old russian troop training areas (military!.. anybody need amunition?!)

---> I will write more these days, but for the moment i have to stop... time delay... have to prepare all this x-mas stuff...

read u next time !!!

To Dennis: grease it baby, that was my fault, too.... and when u are ready u got a grease lightning...:D

1979 Gs80 350ccm

twinshox

dennis... i overread the part number... give me more dates about your bike (year,type,ccm)... i will see, if they have one left... i will let u know...

thorsten
(thats what i mentioned... the interesting sites are always in foreign language[?])

1979 Gs80 350ccm

john durrill

Thorsten,
 Welcom to the group. The 350 you are restoring is the same as the 1979 KTM 400GS sold here in the US? If it is its a great bike. I had one a few years back. If this link will work
http://www.mxbikes.com/forum/view.php?site=mxbikes&bn=mxbikes_ktm1&key=1070170384&first=1070195087&last=1069030701

It is a picture if mine restored. Works Performance made up the rear shocks for me and they worked very well on it. If you need any help ask the group, someone here is bound to know the answer to your question.
 If you like rideing in vintage events in Germany you should contact Leo Keller .He lives in Germany and is a Hercules collector and rider.
He and several other men from the Vinduro group come to the US to ride our ISDTRR.
 They are a great bunch of men and ride many events in Germany and Europe each year.
JOhn D.

Rocket

Dennis
What ratio drive do you need?  I have several that are in good condtion.  I'm looking for a 55mm piston for a Sachs 6B motor.
Rocket

Dennis D

Thorsten,my Piner is a 1972. It is a 175cc bike.
Rocket. My speedo has W 1.42 stamped in it and the drive has 58/1 on it. Don't know if any of this makes sense. Mark Annan, can you help? Do the drives that you have,have the tapered hole in the center where they are snugged up with the axle nut? I have no pistons. If you are not a member on the Vinduro site you should join and look for one there. A lot of the Vinduro members have Sach powered machines and may be able to help you. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all! Dennis D

twinshox

the best thing with those ktm/penton bikes or in general the bikes with sachs (ad even rotax) machines is that they don't need so many "special parts" like those machines from japan (which are rebuilt every season)... i am fixing up an 125 ccm gs80 bd2 (suisse modell, last one without liquid cooling and with twin-shock system).. needed to rebuilt the motor... pistons ?! no problem... engine got a new "measure" and we took the wonderful pistons from mahle-kolben (german firm).. but i think they all got something in common: damn those prices ! :D

but most of the time the autrians took normal industrial measurements for their work... and still there are parts for things like sachs, rotax, bing

hope u understand what i'm trying to say ?! merry x-mas to all of u

WHY ARE THE KTM BIKES CALLED PENTON IN THE US ?!

Best wishes...

Thorsten

1979 Gs80 350ccm

rob w

Thorsten, It is really good to hear from someone in Germany, please keep in touch. Here you will learn where the true roots of your KTM began.

Here's a book you should read, if I had an extra I would send it to you, and it's possible to get one with Ed Youngblood's and John Penton's autograph as well.

//www.motohistory.net/books.html

or

//www.whitehorsepress.com/onlinecatalog/sections/proddata/pent.htm

Thanks, Bob

Dennis D

Rocket/Thorsten,Al had some drives. Thanks for the responses. Dennis D