My 250GS -81

Started by dirtbike, January 04, 2004, 12:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtbike

I don't mean to bore anyone but this is the current status of the 6305 crankbearing equipped 250. Turns out pretty nice.
The tank is about to be epoxied and painted. I have a brand new rear fender and a decal set on it's way towards me.
The bad thing about the bike is that it keeps me from my KTM/Penton -70.
I'll just have to make up for it later!

BTW, I'm seriously planning on riding this bike from sweden to czechlovakia and back in May. The bike is street legal!
What do you all think of that? Will I take water above my head?

Doug Wilford

Dirtbike;   If you don't take a boat ride I am sure you will be taking water well over your head.    Sounds like a great adventure you are planning.  The bike should be no problem, but I know there are some beautiful women in Czecho. They may cause you to have a break down of sorts.   Well, that is according to the Swedish moto crossers I use to know.   I think Torsten Hallman even married one, I can't remember for sure, that was awhile back.   Good luck and have fun.
Doug Wilford

dirtbike

Well Doug!
I get the idea [}:)] but we're three guys that has to be considered family mans [B)]! There are girls all over but can they compete with our bikes?
Naaaa, one has to be realistic!:D

pketchum

She sure looks nice dirtbike.  Where in the world did you ever find a new rear fender and the side panel stickers?  I'm busy collecting parts for my '80 KTM 250 GS at the moment.

Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

twinshox

hey dirtbike (god kväll ?)..

greetings from germany to sweden ! nice to hear from my favorite country (besides norway:D)..

your 250 looks nice, it always hard to find new plastics... sometimes there is one guy who sells new plastic on ebay germany (those parts are rebuilt)... my 350 was "street legal" too, but i had to go for a "technical review" because police told me to do... well, know she ain't srteet legal no more.. too loud, to much power (i got the big carburator on it, though she got more than legal 20 horsepowers).. the guy who had to test it... nearly broke his legs while starting :D..what a shame...

sweden to czech ?! keep away from german highways... then its fun...

Thorsten

1979 Gs80 350ccm
\\"4SALE\\"... KTM 350 + 125 and lots of parts

fzrr750

Cool looking dirtbike, Dirtbike!!! I cannot wait to see it when you have finished putting it back together. How is the cold weather treating you over there? Got that time to finish up your pojects, I bet.
Every once in awhile I see some new or nice looking KTM bodywork on Ebay for the late 70's thru the early 80's. I try to scarf it up just to piss other people off!! Haaaaaa. I am bad. Not too many Pentons or early KTM bike here in Florida. I come across a few every once in awhile. I wish I knew more people here who rode them.

Keep us posted on the ride, Dude!!!
Ed

71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.
71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.

dirtbike

Thanks for the encouraging words all...
I have reviewed everything on the bike as I have been putting it together. I think I can say that she's OK in every aspect. The steering head bearings aren't new, but throughtly cleaned and resting in fresh grease protected by brand new o-rings. New bolts, nuts and washers almost everywhere. The piston and sleeve isn't renewed in any way but I thought that the piston looked very good, and so did the sleeve. I could only get a 0.06mm clearance between piston and wall. Nothing to do there at this moment. The lower rod bearing feels good. No play can be felt radially. The M25's where junk and I replaced them with the debated 6305 ball bearings. We'll see how that will come out in the end! All gearwheels, shifting drum and ratchet is in new condition. I cleaned every gearwheel and inspected each tooth real close. I'd say it's 100%.

I feel she will be "like new"!

The rear fender with numberplate cover is coming from Dr.2Stroke i switzerland.
The decals is some leftovers that I managed to trade in from Mr: Tom Glattfelder in switzerland too.

These two plays a big part in making it possible and I'm grateful for all help. Not just parts but also tips, tricks and ideas!

Hey Dough...
I didn't realize until now what you ment when you said I will have to take a boat... Actually I don't ! You see we have this extraordinary long bridge between sweden and denmark these days. I don't know but I think it's one of the longest bridges there is.
http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/Oresundsbron.htm
(english on the bottom of page)

Doug Wilford

Dirt Bike,  WoW that is for sure a long bridge.   I don't remember even hearing about it before. I know it wasn't there the last time I was in Denmark.    Thanks for the picture.

Gavin Housh

Sounds like a lot of fun. I think you should expect to see a little rain over your head. Not to much rain though, just enough to make it slippery. I also will be going on a ride this summer. I'll be starting in Seattle Washington and arrive in Williamsburg Virgina twenty six days later. I'll be riding a bicycle!