Did you ever notice?

Started by DKWRACER, January 06, 2004, 08:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

A funny thing happened on the way to the Penton Forum, was re-discovered today. Did you ever notice that there is an un-abashed, un-selfished way about ourselves. If this,somehow, can be conveyed to our next generation, then it is a gift we owe. I really worry about the Nextgen, I know where my Pentons are going, do you?
Thomas Brosius

rob w

I guess we all here have something in common that closely unites us, that links us together as a small but very special group.
We share a common bond of passion in an object of great heritage and pride, it gives us a rare identity that can only truly be shared with others that have walked the same line. It's our window to the past when days were simpler, and the energy of our youth was filled with the never ending amusement and trills from our two-wheeled friends. To know an old Penton buddy is to know a friend for life, to know a new Penton buddy is the best start to know another friend for life. We are all brothers with our hearts in the right places, holding on to the "good old days" and finding reasons to begin good new days ahead.

LynnCamp

Well said DK!  I am continously amazed at the collective knowledge of this group and even more amazed at how often members take a significant amount of time to share their knowledge and enthusiasm ... wish we could package this ... it is most definitely a great gift of stories, traditions and techniques to be enjoyed and passed on to the up and coming gear-heads.

Rob - I worry that a lot of the appeal for us older riders is the "window to the past" that you mention.  I guess the challenge for the "Penton Future Project" team - and the whole Penton Owners Group, for that matter - is to try to identify the other tangible and intangibles that will attract the next generation of Penton owners, collectors, and enthusiasts cuz they don't have those old warm and fuzzy memories and were never addicted to the smell of Blenzall.

tomale

Well said everyone. I think that the only way to really pass it on to the next Gen is to spend time with them. If we do not, they will only be amused instead of seeing what we see. If they never ride the bikes we love they will never understand. If we do not tell the stories of what it was like and how much fun it was then and now it will pass on into the abyss. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I brought my Penton/KTM with me and we all went for a ride. MY Grand nephew just got a new Yamaha YZ250f which he let me ride and he rode my bike. It felt strange to him at first and then he said it was alot of fun. More than likely I will never sell my bike but I will make sure that my son understands just how special these bike really are. For that matter how special this group is as well.
The ball is in our court.
Ok I will get off my soap box

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

weflyu

Dont worry about the future, I have a 12 year old and a 10 year old that think dads new 75 penton 250 is cooler than their KX 80 and CRF150.  I'll probably look fore a 125/175 when they get alittle taller and less crash prone. The more the young ones see these bikes and can ride them i think they will come around.

LynnCamp

Well said DK!  I am continously amazed at the collective knowledge of this group and even more amazed at how often members take a significant amount of time to share their knowledge and enthusiasm ... wish we could package this ... it is most definitely a great gift of stories, traditions and techniques to be enjoyed and passed on to the up and coming gear-heads.

Rob - I worry that a lot of the appeal for us older riders is the "window to the past" that you mention.  I guess the challenge for the "Penton Future Project" team - and the whole Penton Owners Group, for that matter - is to try to identify the other tangible and intangibles that will attract the next generation of Penton owners, collectors, and enthusiasts cuz they don't have those old warm and fuzzy memories and were never addicted to the smell of Blenzall.

tomale

Well said everyone. I think that the only way to really pass it on to the next Gen is to spend time with them. If we do not, they will only be amused instead of seeing what we see. If they never ride the bikes we love they will never understand. If we do not tell the stories of what it was like and how much fun it was then and now it will pass on into the abyss. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I brought my Penton/KTM with me and we all went for a ride. MY Grand nephew just got a new Yamaha YZ250f which he let me ride and he rode my bike. It felt strange to him at first and then he said it was alot of fun. More than likely I will never sell my bike but I will make sure that my son understands just how special these bike really are. For that matter how special this group is as well.
The ball is in our court.
Ok I will get off my soap box

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

weflyu

Dont worry about the future, I have a 12 year old and a 10 year old that think dads new 75 penton 250 is cooler than their KX 80 and CRF150.  I'll probably look fore a 125/175 when they get alittle taller and less crash prone. The more the young ones see these bikes and can ride them i think they will come around.