Sachs 125 clutch gear bushing

Started by Gavin Housh, January 30, 2004, 09:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

Has anyone seen a layshaft clutch gear with a bronze/brass bushing in the gear rather than the steel bushing. What is correct, brass or steel? Did Sachs or Penton offer a replacment bushing? If so what did the replacments have? All the motors I've seen have the steel bushing. Thanks, Gavin.

firstturn

Gavin,
  I have seen both on clutchs and both avaliable for replacement.  I think Doug Wilford should be the one to come up with a definite answer for having the two versions.  We could both learn on this question.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

I agree with Ron, there were both styles.  There were also two different styles of clutch baskets on the Sachs. A 39.5mm and a 41.5 mm that employed different springs and different baskets.  I wonder if this relates?  The shorter was on the early 5 speed and the taller was on the later engines.  I see the steel bush on a lot of the early stuff, but I like the brass myself, just me!

firstturn

I agree with Kip on the brass.  I would always rather replace a bushing than a shaft.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Gavin.
I checked with all the Sachs resto folks when we did the 175 conversion on my Six-Days. The Sachs 100/125/175-6's came with both stock. The 175/6's had the bronze stock. The consensus was either would be strong enough. Yes you could get replacement bushings . The Part # is 0632-113-000.
The new straight cut primaries we are getting will have needle bearings in place of the bushes . I plan to replace the needle with a bushing on mine. they have a larger bearing surface and should last longer than a needle bearing. plus they are more tolerant of a less than perfect bearing surface ,on the lay shaft, to ride on.
John D.

Gavin Housh

Guys thanks for all the answers to the bushing question. Hey John, what's up with those gears? Will they be here for valentine day? You know I would hate to keep my sweetie waiting. We'll be racing out here in March. Gavin.