Ok, I must be stupid

Started by jerry, February 23, 2004, 10:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry

Please don't anyone agree... at least just yet. I purchased the Penton 100-125 spare parts manual and disassembled my bike for the painter knowing good and well that I could reassemble the pieces because I have the exploded drawings in my recently purchased book. Well, I start to reassemble the bike over the weekend and realize that my book is either so generic or focuses on differnt years and I am in T-R-O-U-B-L-E. For example, my brake pedal/rod assembly has various nylon bushing that need to be reinstalled and one has a bevel on it. My drawing doesn't say where this one goes. Worse yet, my brake rod doesn't use a nut like the drawing, it has a hole , I assume for a cotter pin. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are there any better exploded drawings for dummies out there? Thanks Jerry

Jerry
Jerry

Steve Minor

Jerry......While I'm not familiar with your particular bike, I am familiar with the people in this group....I'm sure every member has done the same thing you did.....I know I have!

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will "talk you thru" a step-by-step reassembly.
Steve Minor

Randy Kirkbride

Jerry,
You should have two nylon bushings that are beveled.  One has a large hole & one small.  The one with the large hole goes on the Pedal side of the bike.  They are beveled so you can insert them all the way in the hole without hitting the frame. The two that aren't beveled are the ones for your brake arm return spring.
The hole is for a cotter pin.

Rocket

Jerry
I have found it a lot easier if you assemble the brake pedal and linkage with the swingarm off.  I also position the actuating arm for the brake rod at approximately 5 minutes to 12 as you would look at a clock.  This will get you pretty close with the rear brake lever position.  Good luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions.
Rocket

namgar

Jerry,
Well I'm glad you asked!! 'cause that's one of my next steps and I was looking at those new nylon bushings, scratching my head and trying to remember back to last year this time when I took it apart....

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Kip Kern

Jerry,  Don't consider yourself stupid as I think installing the brake pedal assembly on a CMF like yours is one of the biggest pains of restoring those bikes.  I would rather clean hubs and I hate that "big time!"[xx(]