400 does not want to start when hot

Started by thedish, March 04, 2004, 05:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedish

Help.  My 4oo Penton does not want to start when hot.  I have tried several good red wire coils and it does the same thing.  Runs great but when I shut it off it will not start back up.  When it cools off it will start.

w. terry dishroon
w. terry dishroon

Rocket

Terry
I would suspect the stator.  Do you have another one that you could try.  If not, Dane L. from PVL Ignitions can probably test your unit.  He is listed under parts on this site.
Rocket

thedish

thanks, I have a stator off an old 250 and it was good when taken out of service.  I will try it.

Thedish

w. terry dishroon
w. terry dishroon

thedish

can not find Dane with PVL because I cannot find parts.  I am not too fast on computers so I will need better directions.  Thanks

Thedish

w. terry dishroon
w. terry dishroon

john durrill

Terry here is a shortcut to his web site. click on it and the page should come up for you. it will have contact info on the home page.
http://www.pentonimports.com/
John D.

TGTech

thedish:

Most of the time, when you encounted a starting problem when the engine is hot, IF (and that's a big one) the ignition is the "second generation" (red lead coil and terminal covers), the problems can be traced to a bad ground. All materials, when heated, lose or lower their ability to carry a ground. If the ground is poor to start with, and then the engine heats up, the ground capacity diminishes.

Our suggestion is always to start with the ground path, and see that everything is clean, bare metal, to bare metal contact, and then if you still have problems, then we can test it on the bench.

Don't forget, that the stator carrys a ground between the stator frame to the mounting plate, to the seal plate, to the engine cases and subsequently to the spark plug and coil. If you've got rust and or corrosion in any of those mounting points, you can have a bad ground.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.

thedish

Thanks Dane,  I have it off and in the process checking all of t of the grounds.  Will a 250 stator work on a 400 motor?  I know it will fit but it it the same inside and if so what is the timing set on the 400?

Thanks again , Thedish

w. terry dishroon
w. terry dishroon

TGTech

Terry,

The 250 stators should have been the same as the 400 models, unless you have the MX only ignition. These are identified by only two stator wires instead of the normal 5 wire model used on most of the Pentons.

In that case, they can not be interchanged, because the flywheels are actually constructed differently.

Dane