Swearing the Swingarm Pivot Bolt Out

Started by vmx1963, March 01, 2004, 04:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx1963

Anyone got a secret technique for extracting a swingarm bolt that's pretty darn stuck?  I've been using CRC (WD-40 or whatever) and have managed to unscrew it up to the threaded end, but the bearings must have a good grip on the bolt 'cos that's as far as it goes and no amount of hammering will persuade it further.  The bike's been sitting for over 20 years.  Is it time for some gas-axe heat?

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

Kip Kern

I just removed two of those this weekend.  I try the oil treatment and if that doesn't work, I use a 1/32" cut off wheel in the die grinder and cut between the frame and swingarm and once the swingarm is out, press the remains of the shaft/bolt out!  ;)

Rocket

I use the same method as Kip, haven't found anything else that works yet.
Rocket

vmx1963

Thanks Kip & Rocket.  I did stand there for a while looking at the bolt between the swingarm and frame whilst waving the hacksaw in a threatening manner but chickened out. But now...*strokes "Hack" the hacksaw* "Come my pretty...we have work to do..."   [}:)]

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

Rain Man

Correct me if I'm mistaken. YOur trying to remove the swing arm axle?
  Get your standard crow bar out and apply an impact type of blow either with your hands or a 3 pound hammer at the tongue end of the bar. wedge the claw end between the frame and the hex head of the bolt. Apply pressure 360' around the hex by moving the bar after impact. this will hopefully worked the axle out   at differnt angles. This will generate roughly 20k of force on that shaft.  be careful not to distort the frame,you could generate that much torque with any bar:( Another method I like is to use a good size brass punch less than 1/2", a 3 pounder again and have someone turn the axle with a ratchet while you drive it out.
  If none of this blacksmith technique dosen't seem to work, Kips got the final approach.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

vmx1963

Well that was annoying :(  Spent a half hour heating the pivot area of the swingarm and effectively melted the bushes out only to find that when the axel would move the inner sleeve was rusted to it tighter than a Scotsman's wallet!  At that point my patience was seriously challenged so the angle-grinder was utilised in an effective manner to cut the pivot bolt off.  

Needless to say I'm now ringing around trying to find another swingarm bolt. [xx(]  Does anyone had a scan of the spare parts manual page for the 72 - 74 swingarm?

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

john durrill

Al B has new bolts and if you need swing arm bushes ( the rubber bonded ones) he should have some in stock now.
John D.

Rain Man

VMx 63.To bad you lost the axle. Times rough on these parts after they've been sitting for years. I know alot of my buddies have been running these Teflon bushings in their wheelers and Bikes.  Theres tons of that stuff available up here in the machine shops, and the stuff just seems to wear forever, maintenance free. The teflon is not original, but its simple to machine and replace.
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons