125 swingarm and crank bearings

Started by cward, April 10, 2001, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cward

Im restoring a 1972 125 ISDT, and have it down to the frame. Im having trouble removing the swingarm shaft. Can someone tell me what size allen wrench it takes and any tricks in getting it out? The thread are loose, the bolt moves up and down with the swingarm but it seems to be stuck in the bushings. I guess heat would damage the rubber bushings, right? I also need advice/tools to replace the crank bearings. Thanks, Curtis

curtis ward
curtis ward

Kip Kern

Curtis

When I run into the swingarm problem you have, I use a die grinder with a 1/32nd thick cut off wheel and cut the swingarm bolt up to remove the swingarm.  I then press out the old bushings and replace them with new ones and a new swingarm bolt with plenty of Kendall blue grease! (12mm allen head) I have a special puller for the inner and outer races of the Sachs crank bearings.  I may bring these to Mid Ohio to get out bearings for folks for a small fee, the pullers were about $300,my cost, for the two!

cward

Thanks Kip, I sawed the swing arm bolt in to with a sawzall and pressed out the bushings. I have new ones from Al ready to install. I also found a trick way to remove the crank outer races. Let me know if you are interested in learning about this. Thanks, Curtis

curtis ward
curtis ward