Rear Brake Stay 1969 Six Days

Started by t20sl, March 14, 2004, 08:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

My brake stay on rear wheel looks to have been chrome plated, not zinc.  Is this correct or has it been done by previous owner?  Thanks, Ted

Kip Kern

Ted

You are correct, it is chrome,  The 68-71's were all chromed.

t20sl

Kip:  Thanks, I know I can always count on the correct info from you.  Got any good leads on a chrome shop?  Need to get 1 rim, brake stay, exhaust clamp and  muffler heat shield done. Since you got someone charging $5 for tire changes I bet chroming must be almost free! Thanks, Ted

Kip Kern

Ted  I have a chrome shop here but it is expensive due to the EPA.  A rim is around $100 to get rechromed, that is why I buy new rims from Walridge Motors, I can get two new original Radaellis for about what it costs to have an old rim rechromed.

LynnCamp

Kip,  If you can get the original re-chromed for the same money that a new one costs... wouldn't it be important to try to keep the parts "original"?  I suppose that if, functionaly, the new was superior ... and if you were competing on the bike ... but I still would think you would want to try to preserve everything original.
(easy for me to say when it is your money and not mine, heh!)

Kip Kern

Actually I get two new Radaellis for the price of getting one old rim rechromed.  I like the new rims as they aren't rusted on the inside and after getting an original older rim rechromed, you still see pitting in the new chrome.