restoration detailing

Started by dirtbike, April 02, 2004, 04:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtbike

I was wondering how our engine and chassis restoration experts, Kip, Doug and the rest of you go about with bolts and nuts inside and outside the engine. Do you reuse any bolts and washers or do you use only new stuff?

I have tried to use only new bolts and washers but some are the old ones. Like the three small ones holding the stator and a few others.

Does anyone Helicoil undamaged threads just in case?

Here is my current status of the 250GS..
Tank is sanded rough with 80 grit paper, two layers of marine grade epoxy, spray putty and sanding some 10 times and finally two coats of International polyurethane two component paint. This paint is incredible strong after 15 days of curing. I expect this paint to stay white and nice like forever!

dirtbike

BTW...
I know it should go into the buy/sale area but since I bothered everybody with a thread anyway!

I'm really looking for a ULO rectifier/turn relay/battery/regulator box, rear sprocket 48t steel, front sprocket 14t.

Anybody ??

OUCWBOY

Dirtbike,
You might try Dr2Storke on this site. I head he has many KTM parts and he is is Switzerland. Look at the Suppliers page and you may find some help there too.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Doug Wilford

Not that there is a specific rule on nuts, screws and bolts, and I can not speak for others, but my main concern is to use new or replated hardware that is visible.   Stator screws and others that are internal are reused if still in new looking condition.   To heli-coil just in case?   I wouldn't in general, that would have to be done only in an area only that is giving problems.  Or "If it isn't broke don't fix it".[8)]

Kip Kern

Dirtbike

Your bike looks excellent!  I too use some old original bolts and new also, I have all of them Zinc plated to look great.  I use recoils on damaged threads, the same as helicoil, and have had great luck.  I also have all spokes/nipples zinc plated to make them look good, anything that will take Zinc, gets it!  You can paint over zinc if you want to cover it, I know a lot of people who do but the plating is durable and I like things bright!  I powder coat the springs on shocks and will start Hi temp gloss black powder coating the exhaust to look original.  Anytime I can help, email [email protected]!

dirtbike

I polished the tank once more, took a deep breath and gathered some courage to mount a decal. It turned out really well!
Guys'n gals this made me happy!

pketchum

Very SWEET.  Love the work with the graphics.  I have a NOS naugahyde (sp?) cover for my 80 KTM 250 GS tank that has the original graphics emprinted on it, but lack the graphics for the side panels.  Can you divulge your graphics source to this group?

You've heard about Tom Grantham's reproduction MX side panels haven't you?  He's sending me a set shortly I hear.....

Phil (anxious)
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

dirtbike

I've done the side panels and entire tank and now it's really coming together!

Hey, I don't plan to reuse those cables...

DKWRACER

Phil et al, I have side panel graphic stripes which I can copy at local supplier etc...what is interesting about this resto is the coating on the tank with Marine Grade epoxy which I think he mentioned earlier, this looks really very good but what is in store with permeability on the gasses inside the tank, man am I interested in the brand name of the epoxy and was it sprayed?, Also after the epoxy, an epoxy based primer was applied? Dirtbike, can you elaborate a-bit?
Many Thanks!!!
Thomas Brosius

dirtbike

The thing is that I cannot say what this will look like a year or two from now. I have some knowledge from the marine industry, talked to others that have had success in doing this and added the ideas together.

What I have heard is that the best thing is to blast the tank to give the resing a better grip. I have sanded it to a pretty rough surface using 80 grit paper instead.

After that I coated it with two or three layers of epoxy depending on where. Some parts got a thicker layer right off whereas other where a little harder to coat, therefore three layers on those places.

I use marine grade NM epoxy which is essentially the same product as west or system 3. Check out http://www.bateau.com
You might even get further ideas!  

After the epoxy coats i sprayed some putty. Nothing particular and most of it has been sanded off. And finally three coats of two component polyurethane color, brand: International.
The boat guys say that it will last forever but I still wonder what about the gas going right through the plastic over time.

We'll just have to wait...
Looks good for now though!

And hey, forget all about that gas station epoxy.