Spring-loaded Footpegs

Started by vmx1963, April 04, 2004, 09:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx1963

Has anyone engineered a set of spring-loaded footpegs?  There doesn't seem to be a logical mounting point for a torsion spring return on the early pegs, but I have thought that a flat strip spring welded to the underside of the peg and inserted into the footpeg mounting tube on the frame might do the trick.

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

Rocket

vmx1963
 The late 76 and 77 Penton's had spring loaded footpegs.  Back in 75, I adapted spring loaded Husky pegs to my Jackpiner.
Rocket

tofriedel

I used footpeg springs off of a 77 or 78 (they are the same) and only had to drill a hole in the foot pegs of the 1973 Jackpiner to get them to work.  You need different bolts & bushings, but they work & are cheap.

Tony
Tony

tomale

I quess that I am really cheap or maybe just really low tech. I cut some pieces of bicycle innertube. About an inch or so and then stretched them over the pegs and on top of the bolt that holds the peg on. When the peg is lifted up it pulls on the band of inner tube causing the same action as a spring. And they are cheap. every once in awhile I will replace them. I started doing this last year and they seem to hold up pretty well. Springs would be better but if you can not find them or can't adapt what you do have this will work.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mike Lenz

VMX, I have a spare set of peg springs I can send you if you want a set and to see how they were made.

vmx1963

Many thanks Mike - I'll send you an email.

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM