32 mm Fork Tubes

Started by namgar, April 28, 2004, 10:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

namgar

I'm looking for a set of 32 mm Ceriani Tubes to raplce the ones on my 1973 Penton 125 Six Day.  The ones I have are ever so slightly tweaked where they come out of the triple clamp and some of the chrome is flaking off.

Alternately I would be interested in swapping to a 35 mm front end if I can use the same wheel.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Lew Mayer

Yes, you can use the same front wheel. I did that to mine many years ago. You may need to modify the brake stay though to get the brake cable to run straight.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Mike Lenz

Also if all else fails you could try straighting them in a press with a couple of V blocks to set them in. Did that many times, but only once per set of fork tubes. If the chrome situation is still usable.

john durrill

We did the 35 mm swap on our 73 125. we had to do some work on the front axel and offset the rim 3/8 of an inch or so. I know  Doug had to do that on one or 2 bikes as he was the one that warned me about it. I dont know if all 35 mm forks would need that though. A new axel from Al would be a lot easier, we just wanted to ride the bike that weekend so we did the changes to the axel. Our 35 mms were wider between the legs than the 32's.

rob w

William,
You may know this because it was covered not long ago in Still...Keeping Track. There were two different lengths of Pentons 32mm Ceriani's. 72 models, single pinch bolt on the triple clamps, apx. 30" O.A. length.
The 73 models, double pinch bolts on triple clamps, apx. 31 1/2" length.

Bob

Just a reminder, so you find the right ones.

Rain Man

Not sure if this guys still in business, "Forking by Frank" use to have any fork tubes available at one time. He use to be listed in the biker rags years ago.
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

john durrill

Here is Franks address an phone #.
 the web page seems to be hard to find  for some reason. I know he has one.
Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc.
945 Pitner Avenue
Evanston, IL 60202

Phone: (847)475-1003
John D.

namgar

Thanks for all the help guys.  I'll work something out, they are only mildly tweaked so I'm sure they can be straightened but ultimately I would like new tubes.  I'll try Frank and see what I can come up with that way, otherwise I'll keep my eye out for some nice tubes at Mid-Ohio or on evilBay, if the 35's come up first I'll probably go that route.  Meanwhile I'll check the length on mine, a little longer would probably be nice, I can always through some longer shocks on back to keep the geomatry the same and pick up a scad more ground clearance.

In other news, the new Circle F was adjusted to clear the rear shock and I rounded the corners off on the mounting tabs, they aren't any wider than the stock ones and once the pipe is mounted you can't tell a difference.  I sent the pipe to Jet-Hot for their Sterling Hi-Temp ceramic coating and it should be back next week.  It turns out the Akront wheels I was planning on using were drilled for a conical hub so I ordered some new Excels from Buchanan and had them drilled for the heavy duty SS spokes and nipples, they should be in late next week too.  Hopefully I will have the bike back together in time for the AHRMA National at Camelback.

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Mike Lenz

If they are bent about the same you could also just spin them around! I also did that alot also, only mainly with the 35mm forks on the 76 and 77 mc-5's. In fact at supercrosses I would have to spin them around almost every moto and replace them after every race. I dont relish those memories! Well, the racing was pretty fun! Sure was glad to see the 38mm forks in 78!! I now run 38,s on my 77 mc-5!! Im racing my sons 100 at the 100cc National in MO the end of may and it has 32mm forks on it and I now weigh over 200 pounds. Yikes!!!!!