Arai helmets

Started by tmc3c, April 22, 2004, 06:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

I have a MX-R Arai helmet and inside it says it was made in 1991,this helmet looks new and it did fit very well and I bragged on it many times but now the liner is departing on me so I send Arai a e-mail about putting the new removable liner in it and Arai send's me a e-mail back and tell me that they don't put liners in a helmet that OLD. I hate that I spent the high dollars on it and the following year after I got it they came out with the MX/E which I belive has the removable liner. I think I can put it in the yard and plant flowers in it,yeah I can see it now some roses..........HMMM  OK I am finished crying now and I feel much better.[xx(]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Thomas,
I too own an Arai MX-R and it is a great helmet, but have not had a problem yet. I guess I don't wear it as much as I should. I have an old Bell RT from about 1970 or 71 that the lining was totally shot and Bell redid the whole thing and charged me $65.00 + shipping.
I still love that old Bell.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Lew Mayer

I thought Bell quit redoing helmets? Lawyers and such,you know.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tmc3c

My Dad had a Bell helmet and he sent it in to be relined and they took it and sent him a new one inplace of, I don't know what they charged.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Lew,
Bell redid my helmet over 2 years ago. At first they wanted to just send me a replacement for $110.00. I wrote them a formal letter stateing that the helmet they offered wasn't anything like the RT. After about a month of mailing each other, they finally installed the new liner.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Last Arai I will own ! My father always said "If you have a 25.00 head then buy a 25.00 helmet" but they seem to be making some nice one's for a 150.00 now instead of the 300.00 i paid for my ARAI.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

swamp fox

TC,
I remember that sign on the wall of Stokes when I bought my first Bell full face. Being all orange, it seemed to make its way to my brothers gear bag for his tunnel hull boat. Then it went to his son for go-cart racing. I've got another moto 4 full face and they still sell replacement foam for them.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

OUCWBOY

Thomas,
That sign about the $25.00 head made me think of a sign that hung in the shop of Mike Lewis in Lawton OK, near the used bikes. It said "If you want fresh new quality oats you must pay the price, but if you want oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper"

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

t20sl

We all purchase helmets to protect our heads just in case.  Well, ask any old autobody man who works on Corvettes, fiberglass gets brittle with age!  Helmet manufacturers say 3-5 years is typical life span for helmet.  The resins/polyomers change over time and no longer provide the same level of protection as when they were new.  Our drag strip will only let you run if your helmet has the current Snell sticker on it.  Snell changes their tag every 5 years (1995,2000, etc).  I know it is hard to part with a helmet properly broken in, but remember why you purchased a good helmet in the first place.  Don't replace the liner, replace the helmet. Ted

desmond197

Replace all your gear every 5 years.  I guy I know got in an accident and had on old gear 6 months in the hopsital and rehab. The doctors ( some who race) said that if he had been wearing new gear he probably would have walked away.