Thom Green & Penton wins NW MX series

Started by Big Mac, April 25, 2004, 10:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

POGGER Thom Green (the racing reverend of Everett, WA) not only celebrated his 53 birthday yesterday, he won the high-points championships in BOTH the 250cc Open-Age Amateur Evolution class AND the +50 Amateur Evolution class in the Vintage Dirt Racing NW (http://www.siegecraftnw.com/VDR.htm) 9-race series, which started last September. This in Thom's first season back after a 20+ year layoff from the track, aboard his bought-new-kept-all-these-years '76 250 MC5 and competing against 1980 Honda CR250s, evo YZs, Maicos, etc with plenty of young guns in the open-age class...NOT an easy feat!

Thom not only made every one of the 9 races in the series, he FINISHED every moto, 2 motos in each class for every race, rain, mud, sleet and dust. That's a whole bunch of motos without any fouled plugs, no fall & go-boom owwies, no missed gates, no wet electronics, no counter sprockets falling off (try 50lb torque Matt Sullivan ;)), no seized pistons. Apparently ministers have more hours than the rest of us during the week for race prep? Or it was due to the great Penton/KTM equipment and Thom's careful prep. At least 3 of the 9 events this year had rain-out conditons that would have meant cancellation in most other regions...36 motos without a hiccup is almost impossible--I've tried it, I know.

Thom had a big group of "Heaven-Sent Racing" fans, family and church members that drove 3 hours down yesterday for the final race of the season to cheer him on, with  great racing on a beautiful day for the wrap up--what vintage racing should be all about! GREAT JOB Thom!!  Now get that 400 tuned for the fall VDR opener, cause the Intermediate class is calling! Post some pics of bike and rider here too.... Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Steve Minor

Way to go Thom!!!!

Could it be perhaps, you had an angel sitting on your shoulder?
Steve Minor

Auto5guy

Thom not only won the two championships he had them both wrapped up a race early.  He didn't need the points from yesterday's race.  Thom is definitely a competitor though.  He bounced back from a bad spill early in the day and proved his titles were no fluke by taking the win in +50 with a 2-1 finish.

Congratulations Thom you deserve it!  

By the way Mac all my mechanical problems are the result of to much maintenance on my bikes. [:p]
One of these days when I quit living out of a suitcase I'll solve that problem.

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

tmc3c

Congratulations Thom !!!!!!!!!! :D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

Thankyou guys you are all too kind. I was stunned when everone showed up in those T shirt that had "Heaven sent Racing" on it. one of my friends from my mens group came up with the idea and I thought it was great but had no money for such things. Then when I came in from practice there was all of these people standing around me with theses silly grins. and I about fell off the bike. I put my bike on the stand and hug them all. I had no idea that they had planned this and no idea that they had really made up the shirts. Any time I want I can get more. And one of the guys said he would do all the paint work on my 400 and wanted to do a custom paint job on my helmet with the Heaven sent logo on it. One of the other guys said that he would make up stickers too. Is this getting out of hand or what?
Money is fleeting but friends are the one thing that money could never buy, No one ever asks to see their money market accounts when they are on their death bed. But friends and family are the true treasures in life.
Thankyou all, I am richer than I could ever had imagined.
By the way I am pretty sure that I had an angel watching over me the day I hung up riding gear 27 years ago. I got up from a crash that should have put me in a hospital and no one around to call 911. NO cell phones either. As for having a angel on my shoulder now.... well you never know. one thing is for sure, I have been really blessed and I have met some really great people in the process.
As for my abilities as a mechanic. Well as it turns out I have ADD and I tend to go over the bike several times to make sure that I did not miss something. Which I did this week end. on the last lap of the 2nd moto of the day (2 of 4) With only  100 yards to go and three corners before the finish line, I lost my gear shifter. We found it and tightened it up and I went out and race the next two motos.  Besides alll that I think that I have to say that it is easy to finish when you ride a Penton/KTM  The thing is like me. It does not like to give up. Besides all that I think I would have to say that Bob Jacobs taught me alot about preping a bike. He raced a Triumph in the 60's and manage to keep it running. you know how hard that is.
I will be ready for next year, this time with a 400. If my thunder thighs do not scare them the 400 will. I know it scares me. What a rocket.  you guys are the best.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tlanders

Nice work Thom - congratulations!!!! I would love to see one of your tee shirts, they sound neat.

Teddy

tomale

I should have some pictures soon, Maybe even a picture of the shirt. As soon as I get the pictures and with my wifes help I will make them available. the pictures that is. not sure how to do alll that....

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

imported_n/a

Thom,

Congratulations.  I look forward to seeing photos.  

Glenn

tmte123

It turns out that The Right, Rockin', Revvin' Rev. cracked his rib in that first moto when someone squared off a corner and used RRRR's front wheel as a berm.  He says he's a tad sore and is going to take it easy for a couple of days...of course, he wants to go riding,  I'm tempted, maybe I can keep him in sight now that he is physically impaired...maybe.[^]

Not a Penton owner, but soon to be one (fingers crossed) I have ridden one..Tomale's MC-5.  Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler