fork seals

Started by wildman, May 12, 2004, 09:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

What brand and type of fork seals have POGgers had the best service from with Ceriani forks. I have the gereric triple lip seal that replaces the two single seals stock and they leaked almost immediately. The fork tubes are smooth, not gouged or pitted. I need to dissamble them to try Gavin Housh's damper rod mod and I'll try some new seals as well. Thanks for anyones input. Wildman Dan Pagel:)

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Kip Kern

I use CR brand seals for everything, available at any bearing/seal place. CR 13945 are for the 35mm forks, 2 seals each leg[8D]

Larry Perkins

Did you replace the wipers also?  Most of the time that seals leak that fast is because dirt got to them instead of being stopped by good wipers.  Most of the time that seals need replacing wipers do too.  The CR seals are good but the wipers must do their job also.  A good trick is to install new seals then run an o-ring and then new wipers.  If dirt gets by the wiper the o-ring will catch the dirt before it gets to the seals.  Then everytime you get done riding pop up the wipers and clean out any dirt.