Metzler copys

Started by wildman, May 12, 2004, 10:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

I used to love the Metzler tires that came stock on Pentons and Maicos. 4.50x18 rear and 3.00x21 front. Does anyone make a replica pattern to these tires (Chen Shin,ect.), what were they called originally,does Metzler still make them? I always felt that the Metzlers were forgiving and gave a nice controlled power slide, maybe today tires are better yet.Thanks,Dan Pagel.

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Rocket

Wildman
I have been putting on Kenda tires.  They have the same looks as the old Metzler's.  Performance wise, I can't say how they perform, they are on restoration projects.  I prefer on my KTM 200, a Pirelli MT44 front tire and a Michelin S-12 for the rear.  I live in the mid-west where we have real dirt, no rocks.
Rocket

Kip Kern

Try a Ching Shen (sp) C755, looks like a Metzeler, very good compound and are very cheap @ roughly $50 a set!;)

Dwight Rudder

Kenda's and Cheng Shin both have Metzeler copies but the 450 is HUGE. I would go with a 460 to replace the old Metz 450, which was a smallish tire. The Metz MULTICROSS was a HUGE 450 and the EnduroCross the smallish 450.
Similar in style and actually better performance is the Pirelli MT16. The old MT16 300X21 is now called a 80/100X21 and you don't want the 450 unless you have at least a 400. Use the 400X18 that is now called a 110/100X18. I love these tires and actually use them on my current Nat'l Enduro Race bike ( a PENTON ( KTM ) 525EXC. The 400 will not work on a 125 or 100. YOU must have a STRONG 175 to pull it.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

firstturn

Dwight,
  Is there a current Matched Set of Tires (to run on a Penton 100) that will include a 350 rear?  I would like to have it to match up with a med size 21 front.  Thanks and say hi to Lee.  I want to get over and see #V032 and the MZ.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron,
 If Pirelli makes a 350 x 18 size in the M16 they would work great for you. I have a 110/100x18  on the rear of my bike on Dwight's recomendation. Had to cut the knobs on the right to clear the chain guide/ guard, but that tire is a wonder. It wears well and gives good traction in all kinds of conditions. I have a Chin Shin 755 on the front an its worn out after just 200 miles. The rubber is too soft and it doesnt get as good a bite as the Pirelli. The front end will wash out in a lot of conditions. The reason we went with the 755's is they looked a lot like the old stock tire and came in the right sizes for our Six-Days.  Will replace it with a M16 this summer.
 And your right us southern guys do need to stick together chuckle chuckle!!!!!!!
John D.

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Dwight,
  Is there a current Matched Set of Tires (to run on a Penton 100) that will include a 350 rear?  I would like to have it to match up with a med size 21 front.  Thanks and say hi to Lee.  I want to get over and see #V032 and the MZ.

Ron Carbaugh

I would go with the MT16 front and a similar style tire to go in rear. My second choice on the front would be the Kenda K257D front. Seems much better than the Cheng Shin.
If you insist on a 350X18 your only choice is a C/S C755
I like the Duro HF-335 in a 4.10X18 which is about the size of a 350X18.
Second choice would be the Kenda K257D 4.10X18 which is about a low profile 3.75 size.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=2850&department=647&division=6

What does anyone know about these?, they look the part, and most of all they say "Metzeler" on the sidewall. Curious, thanks!

Well, first of all they look nothing like the 1970's style tires. This style of tire started coming of age in the late 80's and early 90's.
The MT16 is the "Style" of tire that was common during the 70's and early 80's, although the carcass design and the rubber compounds bring it's effectivness into the 21st century. The MT16 is also the CHEAPEST dirt tire that Pirelli makes. Lots of folks forget that Pirelli bought Metzler back in about 1988. If your bike can pull them the Pirelli MT16 will not let you down. It is also very sensitive to air pressure changes so if it gets nasty and the going gets tough, just lower your air pressure down to about 8-10 psi, and wheelie.
Try it,...........Uhl like it !
Dwight ;)

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

desmond197

I put a new Metzler 120/100 18 on my 74 Husky 250 WR and it is way too big. I ride mostly in fine sand/dirt I the tire hooks up well but it is just too big for the bike and the 250 Husky makes good power. It would work on a 400 a little better. The bike also does not sit well on the side stand and it sat well with the old Metzler which I destroyed at the Six Days Reunion ride.

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by desmond197

I put a new Metzler 120/100 18 on my 74 Husky 250 WR and it is way too big. I ride mostly in fine sand/dirt I the tire hooks up well but it is just too big for the bike and the 250 Husky makes good power. It would work on a 400 a little better. The bike also does not sit well on the side stand and it sat well with the old Metzler which I destroyed at the Six Days Reunion ride.

WOW, why put such a HUGH tire on that bike ?  You could put the Pirelli MT16 400X18 ( 110/100X18 ) and that would work fine. Or any other 400X18 ( 100/100X18 ) tire. The 4.10 is way too small.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

desmond197

The tire was $10 new at my friends bike shop. A guy ordered it and never picked it up. I think I will put a MT 16 on the bike.

tofriedel

For what it is worth.

Pirelli may be manufacturing them under the Metzeler name, but Metzeler tires are still available.  The old Motocross model is not available.  Their latest models are the MC5 & MC6.  Design is different than the old design and different than the Pirelli.  I cannot speak to their performance or longevity, but they are more expensive than Pirelli's.  

Tony
Tony