motoplat ignitions

Started by iliketoride, May 07, 2001, 09:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iliketoride

I'm back at it, trying to diagnose a cronic illness with my penton 125. A local 2 stroke guru (mercury outboard mech.) checked out the bike and came to the conclusion that the problem might be in part to a rich runnning carb. but ignition seemed to come and go. I've torn down the flywheel and ignition looking for corrosion bad grounds etc. There is a metal button that looks a "D" cell battery post on back of the coil under the flywheel, does this "button " need to be grounded or touching the mounting plate? and does this coil need to be magnetized? also the red, green,yellow wires off the ignition are connected together, does this sound right?. As always, thanks! for the help and advice.
Dave..........

Chris Brown

The coil is on the frame. The ignition unit is under the flywheel. You need a manual page to re-set your timing. The R,G,Y wires are from your lighting coil. Each is to run a different lamp. They should not be wired together. There is a wiring diagram on Vinduro when it comes back up (yahoo repairs)
The coil generates the spark, it is not magnatized.
Make sure you're using a new B8HS plug, and that the carb float is working properly.
All settings are critical to get the motor running correctly. A shop manual goes thru every step. Al and Larry both have them.
Chris