On the front cover of the latest Vintage Views...

Started by rob w, May 15, 2004, 12:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of rear shocks is Gary Jones using on that Yamaha. I like the fact that they're not inverted like the "Works Perf." They look more correct, and they must be good eh...I mean, I don't think he'd use inferior equipment.
Thanks

firstturn

Rob,
  Was it a picture taken at a Texas race?  If so  can ask the owner of the bike.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Ron, Yes it was taken at the Jefferson, Texas vintage national. Rob

Dwight Rudder

First of all , I would like to agree. USD shocks have no purpose on a 75 and earlier bike. We just didn't run them that way. I think AHRMA should set the rules that the shocks should be run as the Era.
Next, Works Performance shocks can be ordered to be run in the Right Side Up position ( Shaft Up ). I order all mine to be run this way. They have a floating piston that keeps the oil at the valve. I think it costs a whopping $30 extra . I also suggest to get the multi spring setup not the straight rate or progressive, as they use a loose wound spring that looks a bit strange. The original ( 1974-84) used the Multi spring setup with cross over spacers. NICE !
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Larry Perkins

Dwight, Dwight, Dwight.  You are such the purist.  I love that about you.  It balances out my, if it is better and legal-run it.  However I might mention I raced a Bultaco 125 in later 74 and early 75 for Odessa Sales and Rentals that had Bilstein shocks which had to be run upside down.  Back at you, Buddy.

Mike Lenz

Yup I blew out a number of those yellow Bilsteins on my 74 Penton back then. In 75 I switched to the Fox shocks.

Mike Lenz

Yup I blew out a number of those yellow Bilsteins on my 74 Penton back then. In 75 I switched to the Fox shocks. Hey Larry give me a call about that 125 if you can 309-449-6892 day or 309-449-3276 eve.

firstturn

Rob,
  OK, I talked with the owner of the bike that Gary Jones is riding and here is the scoop.  These are Ohlins and are in this configuration to fit into the U.S. Sports swingarm.  Just a heads up, U.S.Sports made aluminum swing arms for Pentons.  I have at least two examples of these swingarms so keep you eye open at swap meets.    
  The owner of the YZ 250 is John Gerber and as one can tell is an ace at setting up a bike for Moto X.  John can be reached at the following.

John Gerber
4122 Willowbend
Houston,Tx  77025
//www.ibuybikes.com

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh