Ebay - Parts

Started by firstturn, June 06, 2004, 09:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Interesting observation:  I hear ebay being called evilbay all the time on this Forum.  I happen to buy things for myself and friends a lot of times that are either used to finish a project or to enhance a completed bike.
  I have to finish a engine going in a project bike and I was down to sugar blasting the cases and side covers.  I saw a complete NOS cover (Sachs - left side) for $50.00 on ebay.  After I added up the cost of seals and worn internal parts it was a buy at this price.
  The Point: So many times I hear complaining about prices on ebay, but it is cheaper to buy something there than trying to assemble the parts from 3 sources and postage from the same.
  In saying this I appreciate Al Buehner and now Donny Smith who will go to the trouble of sending what they can of an assembly when parts are available.
  The example is below.  Check out the price of any side cover for a bike at a dealer.

****New Sachs 1001 / 1251 Engine side cover for the clutch side. This case is still in the package. Penton part number 0677 001 100. This item includes the following Penton Parts; Sealing ring # 0250 112 100; Bushing # 0232 131 000; Oil Seal # 0250 128 000; Sealing Ring # 0250 131 000; Screw Plug # 0240 140 000; Nipple # 0299 141 000; Protective Cap # 0260 125 000; inner clutch cable # 0291 007 000; Locking plate # 0251 107 000; Adjusting Screw # 0640 107 000; Grub Screw # 0240 139 000; Spring # 0239 123 000; Groved Pin # 0949 003 002; Fork # 0239 126 000; Locking Plate # 0245 112 000; Screw # 0941 087 000; Cam cup threaded # 0286 324 200. As you can see, this is a complete unit! Penton Monark DKW Hercules Rupp Dalesman Sprite Tryan and many others.****

Just food for thought:).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tennessee Vol

Great point Ron,where else could you find some of these good and some not so good deals.You cannot go to a swap meet everyday but you can be at one in seconds on your computer.Having the worlds biggest swap and shop in your own home is pretty cool isn't it.Why don't we change it to [8D] cool-bay?

The price is dictated by what someone is willing to pay.If you don't want it or really need it don't bid.But in my opinion it sure is nice to look at almost anything in the world you can think of and if you want it it yours for the taking. There has been tons of items and bikes put on the market that would otherwise still be locked away or rotting in someones basement or barn now someone is enjoying them.
:D

Bobby Stults

Bobby Stults

Kip Kern

I refer to EBAY as EVILBAY in kinda a reference to the movie "Lord Of The Rings".  Ebay has the same effect on some folks as the movie ring had on some folks.  I have purchased quite a bit of hard to find items when Ebay was new but since the market has dried up and there are more players, I have pretty much given up on computer purchases.  I do though enjoy seeing how much some items sell for these days.  I am just really glad I got involved in the Penton thing quite a ways back as now, I couldn't afford it.  Thank goodness for folks like Al, Larry, Donny, Karl and a host of others for keeping the parts available to us.

vmx1963

Kip's right, it possesses a strange power over otherwise rational men, causing the demented to sit in from of their computers intently watching the end of an auction like Gollum watching The Ring in the hands of those filthy Hobbiteses...

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

Tommy_V

Ron,

I do tend to call it Evilbay, but only as a joke in that it has sucked me into this dirtbike thing.  Even if you buy nothing, you can see examples of actual bikes and parts that it's impossible to find anywhere else, even on the net.  It has been a great source for me and the prices don't even seem that bad at times, but then I'm relatively new to this and don't remember the 'good ole days' on ebay.  I do know that it's evil in that it has given me a sore neck from spending hours staring at all those beautiful Jackpiners on there in the last week! :)

Tommy
Tommy