125 Handlebars

Started by namgar, May 24, 2004, 04:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namgar

When I purchased my Penton basket case it had a god-awful set of almost buckhorn pullbacks on it.  Now it is time to replace the handlebars that I have been using with something more appropriate but I'm not sure what the original bend/pullback/rise figures were for the 1973 Penton 125.  Does anyone have this info?  I have some Renthals but I'm not sure I want the modern look and I have some vintage solid aluminum Malcolm Smith bars, but they are more of a flat track style bend, or so they seem to me and they don't have a crossbar.

Also, does anyone make new Penton crossbar pads?  I seem to remember seeing a new looking green vinyl crossbar pad that said Penton in white letters at one of the AHRMA Nationals.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Dwight Rudder

I have seen some ATV type bars that were close but too much pullback. You can rebend the bars if you are careful.
Hodaka Combat Wombat bars are pretty good. Actually very good.
I wish someone would repro the original Magura bars for the 1972-73 bikes. The 1974 bars had too much pull back.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

namgar

Dwight, what are the rise/bend/pullback specs on those?

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

OUCWBOY

Vintage Iron offers bars that are very close to the period ones. They are very proud of those bars, so be ready to shell out the bucks, but they look correct.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

john durrill

William,
 E&K Cycles sells the Hodaka Bars like Dwight suggested. They run about $45. We have a set on a 72 Six-Days and they are close enough for us. JC Whitney also sells a set of bars that look like they would work for about $30.
 Hope this is some help.
John D.

jchev

Are you talking about E&K  Cycle in Sweet Springs MO.  I got my first bike from him back in the 70s .I was there last week and he has a large supply of parts, NOS and used mainly Hodaka but he did have little things that would work on the pentons

Jeff Chevalier
Jeff Chevalier

john durrill

Yes Jeff,
 We were Hodaka dealers also and used  bits on our Pentons from the Hodaka stores . Switches and head lights, mud flaps and head light ears come to mind just now.
 The folks at E&K are nice to deal with.
John D.

tmc3c

I have a handlebar that just came off my resto 250gs that I belive is original and not bent but need rechroming to be perfect, I put Renthal on mine vintage bend #666 but I would have like a little taller set.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

I saw a pair of handlebars on e-bay this morning. Cheap

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

bentrims

Hey I am so happy to get the NOS complete clutch for my 125. I hope you guys dont mind that I keep calling it the Green Hornet but man I raced it for the 1st time at Diamond Dons and I think it can put the sting on any size bike.

This was also the 1st time I started the bike up and actually rode it. I love that thing....anyway now that I got the clutch it will be ready for the Casey round of AHRMA. See you there. Tom Benolkin

namgar

So I think my plan of attack is to try the bars off my Wombat and see if I like that bend, then compare that to the solid MSR bars and if I don't like either of them I will consider the "vintage" bend from Renthal

Thanks for your input everyone!

Will

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann