What did KTM Manufacture

Started by BrianTaylor, June 17, 2004, 12:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTaylor

After looking through the archives and not finding an answer I now pose the questions .... KTM what did they manufacture on the CMF 125 models up to 74 ?..... engine was Sachs , suspension  Ceriani,controls Magura etc. Who made frame , front and rear hubs and tanks ?... I have a feeling that they were more of an assembly plant than anything . any ideas ??? thks Brian T.

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

firstturn

Brian,
  The frames where made by KTM at their factory.  The method they used to was what is called in todays manufacturing as "off the shelf" products.  That is to say that KTM, in my opinion (and I stand to be corrected), built the main foundation of the bike and then turned to other companies that had a proven record for the main componets.  I like to say that the concept was that there was no need to reinvent the wheel (engines, frontends, shocks and controls) until the product had proven itself with a adaquate sales.
  I am just saying this in a a couple of sentences to keep  it simple.  There are all kinds of stories that went along with the big picture.  I would suggest to you or anyone else that has questions about this subject to read Ed Youngblood book on John Penton.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

TGTech

The frames, swing arms, pipes, mufflers and other small steel and aluminum parts used for assembly, were made at KTM.

The hubs, at least in the beginning, were made by a company by the name of ZKW, Zitzla (sp?) Kraft Werke, owned by Karl Zitzla. Mr. Zitzla, at one time, owned the minority share of KTM, after Mr. Kronreif passed away. ZKW was in the aluminum casting business, and thus, other aluminum cast parts, were also made there.

The fiberglass parts, I think, were made by another small company for KTM.

When KTM Began to make their own engines, many of the internal parts of the engines, were made by Rotax. I'm not sure if ZKW was still involved with casting stuff for KTM at that time, so I don't know if they did the case castings.

Most of the other parts, were outsourced, in the same manner as all the other motorcycles that I'm familiar with.

Dane

BrianTaylor

Dane thats the kind of info I need  that is really cool stuff and I just cant get enough of it ... keep these tidbits comming .. Ron, I bought the book read it too many times I am eagerly waiting for the " Sequel " where we here more of what Dane is giving us with his info from Franz " the factory Man ".... Rob you probably have an idea where I am headed as i am still trying to link the possibility of a  KTM conection with Alouette... thks Brian T

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor