Hi-Point Boots

Started by metalkfab, May 10, 2001, 12:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalkfab

Just bought '70 vintage boots(brand new,in the box).My wife says I'm not supposed to wear them because their vintage,brand new and really cool. What I'm supposed to do? I'm riding a vintage Penton and I think the boots should be worn.She did give up a new sofa (and other furniture)so I could get the bike(bikes!). What do I do?Please Help!

Bob Gilman

Your wife is correct,Display Only.They should go on the fireplace mantle in the best room in the house along with the Penton motorcycles.

metalkfab

Who's side are you on?Did you talk with my wife?She says I should display the bikes also.I bought them to ride not just look at.Is there anybody on my side?

JD

Bob is half correct.  Everything should be "displayed" except when you are riding it.

I would have more fun riding and then talking about it than owning and talking about when someonelse rode it.

Bottom line... you have to do what you have to do!

gooey

USE EM !

having really cool stuff is only effective for me if I can USE IT !

I own a pickup truck that was in a car craft feature once upon a time, a car show winner every time when it was 1st built ... now its used to haul lumber from Menards,, the wifey drives it ( street races it ?? ) almost daily and it shows the years of use ... its maybe a 1,000.00 truck that took maybe 7500.00 and 2 years or greasy elbows to build .... am I sad its in the condition its in now ??? NOPE ! Would be MUCH more unhappy if I didnt get the fun out of it that it has provided !  

I owned a pretty radical Harley pan/shovel "show bike" did I sit and gawk and tell people how cool it was ???  YEP ! SURE ENUFF ! while I was at the gas station refueling for more use !

Theres a GREAT deal of pride in cool toys,, and everyone has different feelings about them ,,  I build 'em to use 'em ... they usually arent as nice or well preserved that way,, but every nick scrape or gouge,, every repair that has to be made is because I USE EM !

By the way,, my wife agrees ... and she does have sisters !

just my 2 cents worth ! USE THE BOOTS WHILE YOU ARE USING THE BIKE !

Larry Perkins

I bought a pair of 20 year old HiPoint boots awhile back and they were in great shape because they were made well and the guy that had them took good care of them.  He cleaned them after rides and mink oiled them regular.  They were twenty years old and had many rides but were very useable and they found a home in Texas where they are being seen by other vintage enthusiasts because the guy wears them and rides.  Take care of the boots but enjoy them.  I don't see as much enjoyment in watching them on the mantle.  If your wife had gotten the cool couch would you guys have watched it or used it with care?  Enjoy them, life is short.

Life is but a poor player that struts and frets its hour upon the stage and then is heard no more.     Shakespere

SCOTT CURTIS

I own two pentons, one is restored which I ride on occasion(when the grass is dry!!)the other I ride regularly.  The is the best of both worlds and what I would suggest to fellow members.

tim bowers

Having the box and all is cool and makes
your collection complete.As far as the boots
go. I would be torn which way to use them.
When I could not find HiPoint boots of that
era to complete my leather pants, jofa mouthgard, Torsten Hallman GP chestprotector
look, I bought new model HiPoint GP boots
which have the metal shin plate etc. etc.
They have camlock buckles instead of the leather peg hole strap. They are available
in most of the Dirt Bike Magazine assessory
warehouses and are about 219.00 a pair.
The metal plate is the effect your looking
for I presume, so if you want to stash those
originals you can still look vintage this way