152cc Penton Steel Tanker

Started by Rick Grant, May 12, 2001, 08:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Grant

I've come across a blue steel tank Penton and am in the process of shipping it to a Penton enthusiast in Acqui Terme, Italy. (Northern Italy)

I've got two questions.  First about the origin of the motorcycle and, second, about means of shipment.

This is the folklore regarding the 152cc bikes.  Does it sound accurate?    

"The frame number is V4328 and the engine number is 6319186.  Since the frame has the low exhaust pipe mount, I'm assuming this is a 1970.  The tank is blue, which is unusual.  I had heard something about the blue tank bikes some time ago and suspected the engine might be a 152cc model.  After removing the cast iron cylinder and alloy head, I found that this is, in fact, a 152cc Penton.  The story I heard is that Penton Imports took some 100cc steel tank Pentons and removed the alloy cylinders and heads and the red tanks and converted the bikes to 152cc. They replaced the steel rods with aluminum rods and the piston pin roller bearings with bronze bearings and bored 125cc cast iron cylinders to 152cc.  They also added an extra transfer port to increase fuel charge and cooling.  They used either Suzuki or Yamaha pistons to complete the transformation.  This bike has a 152cc Yamaha piston.  I'm going to send a copy of this email to the Penton Owners Group and see if this scenario is correct.  You said that you may want to change out the top end and install an alloy 100cc or 125cc cylinder and piston.  I'll check with the Penton Owners Group on this also, but I seem to remember that you will need to use the iron rod.  If this is so, you'll need to have the crankshaft pressed apart and install another rod.  I would replace main bearings and crankshaft and mainshaft seals at the same time."

Shipping:  I've broken the bike down completely and have packaged it in five cartons plus a sixth crate which contains the frame.  I've been communicating with NAVTRANS International.  What I've learned so far is that shipping will be $588 from Tallahassee to the Milan, Italy airport.  Shipping is actually cheaper by air than by sea.  Too much money.  Has anyone had any luck with other means of getting bikes to Europe?

Thanks for the help.

Rick Grant

Tony Price

Hey, didn't you used to race fishing boats with your Hercules?

Hi Rick, how are you doing>  Soorry I don't have an alternative shipping method to suggest.

Tony

Tony P
Tony

Doug Wilford

Rick;
You are pretty right on about the 152s, we had an over abundance of 100cc bikes and converted those to 152s.   Not the 125 cyl. We ordered blue tanks from Austria and changed them out during the conversions.  i don't know if Forward Air does international shippments but I would sure check them out before I went to far.  For the price you are saying maybe good old U.S. Postal service would even be cheaper.    Have fun. Doug

Larry Perkins

If someone in Italy is wanting to convert this to alloy 100cc I have NOS cylinders, heads, pistons, etc.  We have sold a couple of 100cc kits to people in Italy.  On parts I can be e-mailed at [email protected]