Modern Bikes

Started by Nick, June 25, 2004, 04:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Steve I agree, I keep hearing about the guys now being faster because we have learned so much about how to go fast and such but, our heros did some absolutly amazing things. I saw Decoster fly over a jump flat out in top gear and fly a good 35 yards and was 20 feet in the air. Yes the bike was a factory bike but it could not have had more than 9 inche of travel on either end. The year was 75' This is not suppose to be possible but I saw them do it anyway. Or how about riding wide open on a off camber straight that had a 30 degree angle. I walked the track after the race and It was so slick you could hardly walk it much less think of riding it and this on bikes that had only 7 inche of travel and 4 in the back.
By contrast, I watched  a supercross race at the begining of the year that was really muddy and most of the guys had a hard time just staying up. if it wasn't for being so sad it would have been funny. some great shots for Americas funniest video's. Are our Pro's in better shape now Yes. Do they know how to go fast...yea but I wonder if it is only in a specific setting. Not like our hero's Maybe they are getting better the older we get but I do not think that much.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Steve & Thom, I also wonder...back in the day the Pentons used to fly in the woods, they couldn't be beat.What's to stop them from being fast now ? Doesn't it come down to who is willing to turn the wick up? I realize that the newer bikes have better "everything" but who is to say that a guy who was brought up the old school way of riding not being as fast as a guy on the newer bikes. I could be wrong but in the woods today with a Penton that has been restored I don't see it being a turtle.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

sdm

I rode my 73 6Day the other day up a trail that I take for granted
on my 04 250 EXC and it was alot more work than I thought it would
be. After shifting the heck out of the Penton I finally made it
but it brought back the memories of what the old bike were all about.
  I think that the biggest thing about the older bikes that I enjoy
is their simplicity. The new bikes definitely make it easier to go
fast and I think are safer due to brakes and suspension , but the
older bikes will make you think more about what you are doing and
pick your lines better.
It's all fun....
My 2cents
Sam

Steve Minor

I agree with Sam about having to think more on a vintage bike....I watch, with wonder, guys like James "Bubba" Smith and Ricky Carmichael ride motocross....they are amazing...but lets put them on a Maico 501 Radial Fin with about 5 inches of wheel travel, mechanical drum brakes and see what happens. Oh I'm sure they would go fast.....but could they ride like my old heros?....like Roger DeCoster, "Bad" Brad Lackey, Jim Pomeroy, Tony "D", et al?

1977 400 GS6 Original Owner
1977 125 GS6 Project
1978 400 MC5 Project
Steve Minor

tomale

Steve I agree, I keep hearing about the guys now being faster because we have learned so much about how to go fast and such but, our heros did some absolutly amazing things. I saw Decoster fly over a jump flat out in top gear and fly a good 35 yards and was 20 feet in the air. Yes the bike was a factory bike but it could not have had more than 9 inche of travel on either end. The year was 75' This is not suppose to be possible but I saw them do it anyway. Or how about riding wide open on a off camber straight that had a 30 degree angle. I walked the track after the race and It was so slick you could hardly walk it much less think of riding it and this on bikes that had only 7 inche of travel and 4 in the back.
By contrast, I watched  a supercross race at the begining of the year that was really muddy and most of the guys had a hard time just staying up. if it wasn't for being so sad it would have been funny. some great shots for Americas funniest video's. Are our Pro's in better shape now Yes. Do they know how to go fast...yea but I wonder if it is only in a specific setting. Not like our hero's Maybe they are getting better the older we get but I do not think that much.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Steve & Thom, I also wonder...back in the day the Pentons used to fly in the woods, they couldn't be beat.What's to stop them from being fast now ? Doesn't it come down to who is willing to turn the wick up? I realize that the newer bikes have better "everything" but who is to say that a guy who was brought up the old school way of riding not being as fast as a guy on the newer bikes. I could be wrong but in the woods today with a Penton that has been restored I don't see it being a turtle.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Young Ted

Nick - After 27 years on my GS6 I now have a KTM 250 EXCR.The only similarity is they both have two wheels. To keep riding as long as possible, the better suspension will help. I don't believe you could set up a Penton to equal the softness of my KTM. It all boils down to a matter of what you can or want to do.

Rain Man

I road my 400 and 125 Pentons on Sunday, and then my katoom on Monday this week, and being a pretty slow woods rider, I can honestly say I cover  a lot more miles easily with the EXC. Braking is a big issue, especially coming out of the many mud bogs down East here, and also the tight hair pin  tree routed turns. The rocks are another story. The Pentons, I get wicked arm pump instantly,The katoom, I just try to hit the bigger ones !! I think weight has a lot to do with it too, ground clearance is also an issue. I  have all the respect in the world for the guys that won the 6 days on Pentons. Especially the day after when the muscle soreness sets in!!

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons