My bike finished, at last!

Started by dirtbike, July 19, 2004, 11:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtbike

Here she is!
Been out riding the day before yesterday. Nothing bad to report at all. Runs very good. I feel that I can hang on to just about everything. Easy to lift the front wheel with just a twist of the throttle.
Gorgeous suspension that swallows everything real nice. Actually, it's not just nostalgia, I think that it's a good enduro/trail riding bike compared to anything. I'm real happy about beeing able to just kick her over, sit down and take off!

It has been a while and as always with this kind of jobs, sometimes one has doubts.

Now, I need a new set of tires and to the next summer, I will need new brake shoes. I have this guy, changing them by glueing new friction material onto them. I have had a chance to feel what it's about on another bike and the result is perfect. Cheap too. I'll have to pay around $25 for both front and rear shoes.

tmc3c

Hey Dirtbike , What a SWEETIE !! Look's Great!! Congrats, I know just how you feel considering I also just completed mine this year also, But just one thing and that is it leaves a void inside because now you have all of this free time and no project!!:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Speedy

Congratulations.A great Rest.Job.
Oklahoma bound in Oktober???????
Speedy------>>>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

vmx1963

That's a credit to you Dirtbike, magnificant restoration!  What's next on your project list? :)

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

tlanders

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Is it an '81, '82, '83? What size engine? Where did you get the:
1. Tank
2. Fenders and side panels
3. Shocks
4. Fork boots
5. Etc!!!!

What a beautiful machine. Nice work.

Teddy

dirtbike

Thanks all!
tlanders, it's an 1981 250GS.
The tank is original, sanded epoxi covered and painted.
Side panels are original too as well as the headlamp plastic. It's heavily repaired with epoxy, sanded and painted too.
The front fender is UFO, some standard fender, looked it up in a shop
and figured it will suit the bike, and it does!

The rear fender and numberplate cover is brand new NOS from Dr2.Stroke in switzerland.

The shocks are std Öhlins, came with the bike "non-leaking"!!!

The fork boots is just a nameless standard boot for diameter up to 38mm. Looks good on the bike though.

I have geeting used to the bike looking pretty good, now it's riding time. Took it out the day before yesterday and another trip today. I just can't belive how nice it actually is. Been out some 4-5 times now and haven't had one single problem. The engine sounds healthy and pulls very strong when it hooks up.

My setup:
I replaced the M25 crank bearing with plain rollar bearings, 6305 - C3 i belive it was ?! I have been eye-whitnessing how good they last and hasn't caused me any problems yet. The original cases had a crack but Tom G in switzerland bought a parts bike on ebay since we both needed some parts. The exhaust is from there too. Heavily sanded and painted though. I run ATF oil and the clutch which wasn't particular impressive before just keeps getting better and better.
I use 2% (50:1) premix with a quality TC-W3 and JASO-FC fully syntetic oil.
I use (Öhlin original shock oil) named Statoil Hydraulic oil 131 in the fork. It is about 10w viscosity. I use double sided fork seals, meaning that they seal both from the inside but also from the outside.

I really don't have any problems to attend immidiately. Need new tires and front brake cable within time though. Next summer i will replace the brake shoes. I will also change the sprockets from my MX setup 12:59 to 14:48 or 14:51.
Occationally I actually misses 3'th or 5'th gear out in the terrain, then on flat ground I try to reproduce the problem, never happens, but today I figured it out. It's so simple that I have mounted the lever too high. I don't get the right foot movement, have to lift the entire foot. I moved it so the next ride (tomorrow?) will tell.

rd400pi

DirtBike,
  Great looking bike!  Your hard work shows.  I hope my bikes turn out as nice.

Mike H.