Fix for sloppy kicker start levers

Started by rob w, August 10, 2004, 11:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I came up with this fix for tired sloppy KTM kick start levers.

The upper half has a hole or pocket in it that recieves the post which is part of the lower half.
 (I'll use the dimensions off of this first one I did just for an example)
I measured the dia. of the pocket and it was .558", and the dia. of the lower post was .540" , that's .018" clearance or .009 to a side. (way too much)
 Using a piece of steel shim stock (found at industrial supply houses, also available in stainless or spring steel) I cut a piece out of .006" stock, the developed size I found to work is 1" x 1 5/8".
 Then you can either wrap it around the post or stick it in the hole to take up the slop (with abit of grease as well) and after reassembly the old wasted kick started I thought was no good anymore, is like new again.

Bob

Rain Man

Ron, I fixed 3 of these so far and never gave  much attention to the play in that bored spring loaded post hole.  I'll have to try that next time.  I have been letting my welder build up the worn spots, which gets the levers fairly "back to straight". I put a roll pin in @ assembly.  I know my bigger bores can be hard on kickers.
   I seen a guy kick the whole side cover and gears out of a 520 ktm one day,:(
  The only reason that bike would start was in self defense.  The fella was 6'5" and weighed well over 300 lbs. tough bike

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Big Mac

I've had a couple kickers wear out at the "divot" in the post that is supposed to accept the spring-backed ball bearing. When right, the lever's supposed to swing into the folded position and the ball clicks in place with enouh resistance to stay put. When worn out in there, things get all grabby as the ball tries to work out of place or the lever just flops around without any resisitance.

After spending way too much time trying to resurrect the original action, I finally tossed the spring and ball guts and dropped in two O-rings about the diameter of the lower pocket. The cone on the top of the post compressed these down a bit when reassembled with the pin, and ...voiala...just enough resistance to stay where it should, but folds out nice and smooth when needed. I figure I can do without the "click" for the $40 savings.   Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Steve Minor

Thanks for tips Bob and Mac...I need to repair a few kickers myself....Presently, I have a big rubber band (made from a old front tire tube) holding mine snug to the frame. I works great but looks pretty cheezzy.....

1977 400 GS6 Original Owner
1977 125 GS6 Project
1978 400 MC5 Project
Steve Minor

Lloyd Boland

Steve, my kick starter is just like yours.  I knew those engine support posts were there for a reason (to be used for "rubber bands" to hold the kick starter in).  How hard is it to fix a kick starter that just flops around and what parts need to be ordered ahead of time?  Thanks.  The rubber band works but it is a pain if you have to restart the motor quickly.

Mike Lenz

Alan Buehner has a whole bunch of the newer design kickers that work great on the old engines.

Steve Minor

Lloyd.....I really don't think it's a big deal to make the repairs. It's a matter of a spring, a steel ball and a rolled pin.

I think Rocket has done a few...How about it Rocket, any suggestions or sources for the parts?

1977 400 GS6 Original Owner
1977 125 GS6 Project
1978 400 MC5 Project
Steve Minor