Penton Racers are the Best

Started by Dennis Jones, August 16, 2004, 08:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Jones

Thanks Lew and Teddy for helping fix my brake rod in the short time between the parade lap and start of the race at the Walnut C/C. You guys are great.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Lew Mayer

No thanks needed. You would do the same I'm sure. I knew I didn't make it tight enough. It didn't slow you down. Congrats on your win.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tlanders

I give up on trying to report the results of the Pentons at these races. There were so many Pentons I know we must have out numbered any other marque. I loaned a shift lever to a guy I had never met before (and now I forget his name, sorry) on a 400. I brought 6 Penton/KTMs with me and that helped in the numbers game!!! I know Gary Ellis won every race he entered. Dear Glenn Sontagg (sp?) hurt his foot in practice and didn't get to race. Please pray for his speedy recovery. Rosemary kept asking me to get on the loudspeaker and ask all the Penton riders to come to the sign up building for a group picture, but by then the Cross Country only Penton riders had gone home. It was a great weekend. I decided to try to be an iron man and run both 1 hour cross countrys and two different classes of motocross all on Saturday. I lucked out on one of the cross countrys and I was only one in the class so I only had to run one lap. The second one was a real race against my strongest national competitors and other than plowing down a whole bunch of corn (they ran the course through a 7 foot high corn field by cutting out two rows of corn. Many people cut out a lot more than that before it was over!!!) it was a great race with the Penton winning the day!!! After the four motos and this cross country, I was pooped. But raced again the next day in two more motos, four races. After receiving six first places in six events in two days I was disappointed to find out they didn't offer an iron man award!!! We sure had fun though!!!!!!!!!! It was great pitting next to Lew who slept under a blanket spred across the back of his pickup and his Piner. That sounds like an iron man to me!!!

Teddy

tomale

Looks like I missed a great time. Maybe next year! The Penton Team is growing strong up here and I am beginning to see more Postvintage KTM's too. Several have showed up at the local races that were not around before. A couple of guys have told me that they have picked up 77 KTM's GS's I think so that is good because it is making people aware of the Marque.
As for helping each other out. that happens with such reqularity that it would be impossible to list them all. It is so nice to know that fellow penton owners are more than willing to step up and lend a hand if they can. Vintage racers are like that. Last weekend at "The Farm" A friend of mine blew a rear hub on his husky and another husky rider took a spare bike apart so that he could fix his bike. Way to go guys
We were taking an one of the guys was saying that the modern MX rideres are not like that at all. He said he witnessed on numerous ocasions riders coming in from a race and just dropping the bike and ploping down in a chair. Then dad would come along and pick the bike up and put it on a stand. ....Bad form! I bet if they had to wrench and pay for the parts themself they would not be so careless! By contrast you will not see that at the vintage races unless some young man had a really bad day and the bike was just not getting it down.
I was at the races a couple of weeks ago and I stepped up to the line and the Honda that was next to me... the throttle tube and the grip was half gone. I wondered how the rider could even ride it like that. The bike in general looked like it was way over due for some TLC. It looked like it had been rode hard and put away wet way too often. thankfully cases like this are very rare.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W