250 MC 5 swing arm

Started by Rain Man, August 21, 2004, 09:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

Any of you guys out there ever had the mounting bracket that holds the swing arm axle oblong/wear out?  I'm talking about the sprocket side of the swing arm axle, not the threaded end side.  Any suggestions on repairing or replacing  shy of building my own axle support bracket and welding it on there?  I'm just about ready to junk this frame its got so many twisted little problems.

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Mike OReilly

Ya gotta wonder with all of the oblong holes on this bike, how worn out is it?? Just kidding.
In my experience with the '73 - '75 CMF frames, they are one the most common and least expensive items on Ebay. I have to think that a little searching would come up with an MC5 frame, most likely at a very reasonable price. I would not be inclined to put a lot of time or effort into the one that you have unless the MC5 frame is a whole lot more rare than the earlier ones.
As soon as I'm back next week, I will send off the backing plate to replace that oblong part.
Mike

Rain Man

Hi Mike, I do have another MC5 frame I picked up at VMD, I just hate to let this one go to waste without trying to find a solution for repairing, and hopefully easy!!   Anybody out here have any frame repair experience [?]

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

hrbay

Only solution would be to drill/ream out to an oversize that can be bushed back down to proper i.d., may require fixturing to assure a straight bore thru... good luck.

GC
GC

wildman

You can wrap shim stock around the swing arm bolt after wedging the clamp part open wider. You can also build the head of the s.a. bolt up with weld or braze and turn it down to a bigger size to fit. Often the head of the bolt gets worn down, a new one might help some. A mahine shop could do wonders but you almost need a bare frame to handle it for setup reasons. I would just cut up a steel cat food can and jam it in around the loose area if its not too bad. BTW, I repaired a loose wheel bearing in my 250s rear hub with shim stock and red loctite. Cheap compared to another hub!(or frame). Hope this helps some. Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125