Knudson Shifters

Started by vmx1963, August 11, 2004, 07:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx1963

In VMX Mag Issue #15 there is a story on Kent Knudson's 400 Penton.  Anyone know where Kent got the folding shift lever from?  It's different to the ones that Al has at present (I find them too short for my size 10 boot).  Does Kent have an email addy that I can quiz him directly?

Unfortunately I broke my custom folding lever after a CZ and KTM (mine) had some serious mechanical intercourse on a fast downhill at the last VMX meeting. (the CZ footpegs left me with a few cracked ribs) [B)] Ouch!

VMX1963
Western Australia
//www.vmxktm.net

Knute

VMX,

Sorry to hear about the ribs!  The folding shift levers I use are original Hi-Point items and are getting very hard to find.  Currently, I'm not aware of anyone that has any for sale :(.  In case you're going to make another custom one, I measured mine and it's roughly 4.5 inches long (center-to-center).

Take Care,
Kent

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

vmx1963

Thanks Kent - I wasn't sure if they were later model KTM levers you were using or not. Nice Mint!  I'm trying to find one Down Under to restore & race but they are pretty rare.

Cheers

VMX1963
Western Australia
//www.vmxktm.net

AndyL

VMX,
I had the same question on the shift levers.  They are just too short for my size 13's!

Several mentions have been made in past posts about longer vs. shorter shift levers.  But I have never found anything longer than what is on my 75 Piner.

My plan is to take a used/spare lever, cut it and extend it by patching in a section with a welder (hopefully the metal will weld).

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Dennis Jones

I wear a size 10 boot and was always kicking my bike out of gear with the short lever. My brother had the same problem with his. We were lucky enough to come up with a couple of the long high points from parts bikes and the problem went away. Please post how your custom comes out.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mike Lenz

The newer style long shift levers are about 5.75 inches center to center(the mount and tip holes) and started comming on the 78 models due to the movement forward of the foot pegs. There were mid 70's longer shifters made by HiPoint also. Buying a different model from Alan and using the mount end of the KTM lever to make a longer one would be your best bet. You can also get away with mounting the shorter ones up higher than you think you could and they work ok. You have to use a longer one if your running a 77 dual peg mount bike (with the pegs on the forward mount),or 78 on though. Alans are about a eighth of an inch shorter than the HiPoint ones on kents bike.