Help with ID of KTM

Started by Tommy_V, August 18, 2004, 03:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_V

I found a twin shock KTM in a barn today.  I couldn't find a motor number, but the number on the steering head was 00213713.  It looked like there was a star preceding the number.  Any ideas?

Tommy
Tommy

DKWRACER

Hello Tommy V!!!! Glad you could stop by the Penton Barn in Colorado with your son. You might have a 1980 (something cc), to help further with ID you can visit the Unofficial KTM 495 site, there you might find some good info on later years.....Good Luck, and hope to see you again at the ZR......
Thomas Brosius

Tommy_V

Thanks, I knew I could count on you guys!  I did enjoy our visit last winter.  See you at the RR!

Tommy
Tommy

tlanders

Tommy, did you buy it? The engine number (A bit of trivia - in English, motors are electrically powered and engines are mechanically powered E.G. Electrical Motor, Internal Combustion Engine, in Germany engines are called motors, you are German aren't you?) should be found on the right side engine case at 1:00 above the magneto cover. Does the rear engine mounting bolt double as the swing arm bolt? If it does, you may have a 420.

Teddy

Tommy_V

No I didn't, after talking to a few guys here about it, they said the owner (who has a lot of bikes in his barn) is flat out crazy and good luck buying from him.  I'll look it over closer if I get down that way again.

Tommy
Tommy