Woodsman has Wood

Started by desmond197, August 20, 2004, 11:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I finally got the Penton Woodsman I bought at last years Mid ohio restored. Put some premix in it and it fired up first kick. Even got the choke to work properly. Kind of a fun bike with the iron barrel motor. It should be at the Radnor Hunt Concour at Radnor PA September 12th with my MZ 250 Six Day. Still need some other Pentons for the show.:D

OUCWBOY

Is your Woodsman a 152cc? Mine was.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

robbersroost1

Donny,  Did Penton call the Woodsman's with the 152 kit a name like Super Woodsman or something like that? Also how many of these bikes are in the POG? Check out Sept. in the 2005 calendar, that one is mine.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

OUCWBOY

Terry,
I have only seen or hear of a couple in this group. Nope, just Woodsman, just plain Woodsman. Even though it is Super to own one!!!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OUCWBOY

Yes, I did see the photo of MY Woodsman. he he

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Terry,
  We have one in Texas that belongs to a POG member.  I know of several others that belong to people not in the POG.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

robbersroost1

Ron,
    Who would be the Woodsman expert? Looking for someone to share good old history on the Woodsman. Were the any articals ever printed on it, and does anyone know of who at Penton came up with the Woodsman idea? Paul sent me a copy of a piece of sales literature, not to long ago. Would like to add some more pieces if there are any to be found. Thanks so much.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

firstturn

Terry,
  I think the Dane could spread the most information on this bike.  As far as articles I saw one somewhere, but I can't even find my main articles on Mettco.  So don't trust me with anything you want to keep.  The great story here is I turned down one still in the crate in '97 for $1000.00.  Anothere wise business move on my part.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

desmond197

My bike has the 152 Kit, Preston Petty IT rear Fender, Faulk Front Fender,Koni shocks, Ceriani ribbed forks, Long Penton seat, Knobby tires and modified Husky 125 pipe. It also has a very large Lita alloy enduro tank with special panels welded to the underside which is very different from the other Woodsmen I have seen. The bike had very few hours on it. A farmer brought it to Mid Ohio last year along witha bunch of Honda 50 step troughs he was selling. From what I gather about 30-40 of these were made. The survial rate seems to be high do to the small number produced. It shure be ugly compaired to the regular Wassel trials bike. After the show I will take off the seatand replace it with a trails seat and replace the fron fender as well with a small alloy one.

robbersroost1

Desmond197,  First time I heard of a Woodsman with that big tank, do you think it was original, if possible email me a picture of it. [email protected] There seems to be so much history to learn on these bikes, and don't feel bad Ron about turning down the NOS Woodsman, it seems to be one of the great storys that makes this so much fun, you just never know. I haven't told anyone yet, but before I started collecting these bikes a friend sold me his six days for $100.00 and when I  cleaned out the shed one day I put it in a pile of junk with an old snowmobile and burnt it. Hope I don't get put on probation and kicked out of the club.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

firstturn

Terry,
  Just like we used to say at the race track first story never has a chance.  I turned down a like new Tyran from a friend and it was later distroyed in a fire that distroyed his shop.  For those of you in the Denver area probably know the Dealership.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh